Drag Race set up?

Planning on a Race for Real at Sydney Dragway (to race my nephew) Thinking it might be useful to run a lower rear tire pressure? Also jack up the rear preload? Any suggestions?

What does your nephew ride? I have seen alot of drag suspension vids on youtube, I think that would be your best advice(make sure its a name you know. Brock, Schnitz, or Gadson....) if memory is correct my launch was around 10,000rpm(i slowly built up to that) i remember the bike was easy to bog. It will stand up of the line too. Go easy at first.
Cant wait to hear how it goes.

What does your nephew ride? I have seen alot of drag suspension vids on youtube, I think that would be your best advice(make sure its a name you know. Brock, Schnitz, or Gadson....) if memory is correct my launch was around 10,000rpm(i slowly built up to that) i remember the bike was easy to bog. It will stand up of the line too. Go easy at first.

Whats up Mike ? What did you do with the rear shock ? Do you want a soft rear shock so it will squat and not lift the front ? Do you raise the rear ?

I always left the preload alone. I would soften up the comp. alittle. The rebound is slowed down so the bike stays squated longer than normal. I always kept mine as low as possable at the track.
A buddy of mine had a gsxr600 and one day he got the idea to soften everything up all the way and slowed the rebound down also. He took it out in front of his house and pulled a holeshot. The bike looped shortly after.
It possable to go too much!!

Nephews riding an older carb ZX10. I think I'll have an edge, long time ago I know but I have some race experience. Unlimited class MX. This class a hole shot was real important as if you lost the start the rest of the field would nearly blow you off the bike with roosts. It hurt lots. I've always done launches off traffic lights but only to speed limit:angel: looking forward to next Wednesday hope for no rain. Quick Shifter should be handy too. Nephew has a new GoPro so I hope it catches the rear of mybike:sinister:

Nephews riding an older carb ZX10. I think I'll have an edge, long time ago I know but I have some race experience. Unlimited class MX. This class a hole shot was real important as if you lost the start the rest of the field would nearly blow you off the bike with roosts. It hurt lots. I've always done launches off traffic lights but only to speed limit:angel: looking forward to next Wednesday hope for no rain. Quick Shifter should be handy too. Nephew has a new GoPro so I hope it catches the rear of mybike:sinister:

Good luck , Don't loose to a Kawi man !!

Sounds like its going to be a good race! How much time has your nephew had on a bike? Have you ever raced on a drag strip? I went to a plase that held N.H.R.A. and it was alot different than the street. You could hear your tires rolling and you boots unsticking from the track at the line. It hooks up way better! If the track is good and sticky try to keep as much air in the rear tire as possable. Only go down if it spins. Any pics of that zx10 for us?

Sounds like its going to be a good race! How much time has your nephew had on a bike? Have you ever raced on a drag strip? I went to a plase that held N.H.R.A. and it was alot different than the street. You could hear your tires rolling and you boots unsticking from the track at the line. It hooks up way better! If the track is good and sticky try to keep as much air in the rear tire as possable. Only go down if it spins. Any pics of that zx10 for us?

Never run a strip before. This is one of the best in Australia WSID. Nephew spent a bit of time but never done any formal racing, he has done one Race for Real night so probably 4 runs ahead of me. Not sure if I want to do a burnout either. I can get the tire to spin up on the road when cold (just off throttle). Seems if there is lots of traction I'd be wasting tires. No pics at the moment but I'll get some.

I would do a small burnout,it will help. All a street tire needs is a small one, to clean the tire. About as soon as it starts smoking should be enough. Remember to keep your tires out of the water box, they say it collects in the tread and can pool up under your tire at the line.

Waste of time and money! Hired a trailer and went down to Sydney despite weather forecast for storms. For a change they got it right and it was a washout. No racing at all and I took the week off just to do this! Bugger!

That stinks! I feel for you,I dont even want to think how many times we went to the track and not race. I was looking forward to hear your time. Dont give up, it is fun when they let you race

Back