Don't get a ticket

This in no way condones speeding or other illicit activity but here are my tips for increasing your odds of getting only a warning or reduced offense.

• Turn the car/bike off, including the radio
  • Do NOT reach for anything! Not your wallet, proof of insurance, ANTHING. If you need to do so, politely let the officer know the intent of your actions BEFORE you do them. For all they know, you are reaching for a weapon.
  • Similarly, keep your hands visible as the officer approaches the vehicle (this is the most dangerous time for an officer). If at night, turn on your interior lights if you can do so without violating the above rule.
  • Be polite (duh). If you can see the officer's rank, address him/her by rank (i.e. - Yes, Sergeant.)
  • Don't incriminate yourself! Let them tell you what they think you did wrong. Don't agree and certainly don't argue! Give neutral replies (i.e. -"I understand"). Once guilt is admitted, you have just pleaded guilty and if you go to court, what you said can and will be used against you.
  • If possible, pull off into an area that keeps you AND the officer safe. Yeah, they're worried about being picked off by a distracted driver. If you do so and it causes you to go a little extra longer to pull over, let them know up front. "Hey, I wanted to pull over here because I felt it was a safer area for the both of us."
  • When all else fails and you get a ticket, take it like a man...even if you believe you are innocent. Just think of all of those times you were speeding or otherwise doing something illegal that you didn't get busted for. You're still ahead of the game.
Most don't particularly like handing out citations unless you are really deserve it and if you run your mouth it may actually make them feel good about doing it. Any LEO's on the board chime in if I am missing something.

If the officer says your eyes look blood shot have you been drinking, NEVER EVER EVER say, Your eyes look glazed have you been eating donuts??? DOH!

I 100% agree with Scuba! It has gotten me out of one, reduced one and nothing for another.

Last edited:
I've never understood why anyone would give police officers anything but the utmost respect! Here is a guy/gal standing before you with a gun, and a licence from the state to use it on you; if he/she feels threatend.

I completely agree with the advice given above. I've been given warnings, rather than tickets, at a rate of 3 or 4 to 1. However, once when I was issued a ticket, I complimented the officer for doing his job and keeping the streets safe!

They're not our enemies. That's why it so pisses me off the way Prof. Gates profiled the Cambridge Police Officer who questioned him. Dude! He's trying to protect YOUR house from vandals! Be f.....g thankful!

:2cents:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The only comment and old fart like me might add would be, "Don't do anything in the first place that might cause an officer to pull you over". I know we all stretch the law from time to time, but the less you do it, the less the chance that you'll have to face the officer in the first place. And, if you do get caught going a bit too fast, immediately get the thig slowed down. In many cases if the officer sees that you have corrected the err of your ways, he/she will keep on going their merry way. (45 years of experience, O points at this time, more than a few in the past).

All good advice. Generally, what you are saying is give the officer the respect they deserve. I was chasing my dumbass friend, him on his FJR1300AE, me on my FZ6 all afternoon as he wanted to prove what a great rider he was. I figured one of two things was going to happen. I was going to wipe out or we'd get a ticket. I was hoping for the latter.And that's what I got. A NH state trooper got us flying on route 125 and said he had a report of 2 bikers flying through some neighborhoods. The area he mentioned we actually hadn't been through but I was still concerned. He asked for license and registration and went back to his cruiser. Came back 5 minutes later and said we didn't match the description and let us go. I thanked him. I always addressed him as yes sir and yes officer. My buddy goes on this long speech about how we're both doctors and he appreciates his understanding and I'm thinking the trooper's going to change his mind. I was pretty P.O.'ed at my friend for pushing the ride all day long and then his stupid speech. "What the $#$#@ does he care that we're doctors. That's just going to piss him off more thinking we think we should get special treatment." He was unfazed. He said "They always let me go." I asked how many times he'd been pulled over on the bike and he said at least 4 or five in the past 2 years.

Moral of the story: I was just as guilty of speeding as him since I chose to do it. This trooper was awfully nice and I decided to respect his kindness by not doing that again. My friend, not so much. He was speeding a few months later and a MA trooper nailed him for everything he was worth. He went to court and pleaded his case and the judge decided the trooper was excessive in his ticket and knocked it down some but wouldn't eliminate it. His solution was to buy a radar detector. There's no teaching some people.

I certainly can't speak for ALL LEO's, but "attitude" with me was 99% of the probability factor when issuing a citation for minor traffic offenses.

Back in the day (I started my career over 30 yrs ago) most COPS wrote minor tickets for one reason only - to get driver/operator compliance in following the law.

If somone had an "attitude" about the violation they were stopped for - then a ticket was obviously an appropriate enforcement action to foster compliance. But, if someone came across as being genuinely "sorry" for violating a law, then Warnings (verbal or written) could reasonably be inferred to bring about the same compliance.

Like I said, I don't speak for anyone but myself, but guys that came up when I was a COP generally felt this way. Additionally, you can't rely on having a "good attitude" getting you out of a serious violation (100 in a 55, DWI, Reckless Driving, etc.), but it very well could get the charges mitigated to something a little less severe.

I used to routinely reduce the speed on speeding violations to help the driver either with insurance, court costs, or license points .... if they had a decent attitude.

Lastly, if I could give any additional advice I would offer this - don't lie and don't run! I seldom asked questions that I didn't already know the answer to - it was a simple test of character .... and running ALWAYS makes things worse - on the street and in Court.

Again - I'm only speaking for myself and my generation of LEO's as a general rule. There are some real knuckleheads out there wearing a badge. But as long as we recruit from the human race, that is obviously going to be the case from time to time. Even if you can't respect the officer - respect the position - and hopefully things will go as well as they possibly can for you.

Hope this helps.

I haven't ever been stopped on a bike. My car? Different story. I always gave zero attitude, responded to the Officer with "Yes, Sir." and "No, Sir." and was apologetic for my actions after he explained the violation. Not once have I been given a warning. Every one of them a ticket. I must have met the single knucklehead in Maine twice, MA once, MD twice, DC once, VA once and VT once. Even though this is my case, I still am nothing short of polite and respectful when approached by an Officer. Now, I have gone 9 years without a ticket at all. I tend to keep it 5 over in the city and 9 over on the highways... I don't give them a reason to consider me the next target. On the bike and because I know where they always hang out, I am careful. I cannot say I don't stretch the limits of the law where they don't hang out... But, the bike is much easier to slow down in a big hurry than the truck.

My Dad was a local cop in Maine. Nearly all my friends from central Maine are local cops, state cops or working in the Sheriff's Dept. I have a ton of respect for them and anyone else who chooses to protect us. God bless them all!

Back