Don’t wait for new tires!

I hadn’t noticed when the change began-like the proverbial frog in a pot of water, slowly coming to a boil-but tire wear dramatically changed how much I was enjoying my FZ1.

Around 8800 mi. I noticed a pronounced shimmy in my handlebars-hands only lightly holding the bars-and more pronounced at certain speeds. At 55 mph, hands lightly on, the shimmy made me uneasy. (At higher speeds, the shimmy almost went away).

What I didn’t notice, until I replaced the tires, was how much harder the bike had become to steer and the general deterioration of ride comfort.
I replaced my Michelin Pilot Road 2s (PR2) at around 9400 mi with PR3s. (This is not a review of the PR3s, just how enjoyable supple new tires are.)

The joy is back. The bike now responds easily and smoothly to rider input through the turn. Everything about the ride is smooth. It’s a whole different bike.

Some of us have a preciously short riding season and if you ride mostly for pleasure, like I do, then I suggest new tires well before Lincoln’s head is in full view. (Everyone in the US knows about checking for safe tread depth with a penny, right?)

I’ll be looking to replace the PR3s around 7K mi. despite Michelin's claim of their mile munching design.

BTW: Bars are now absolutely rock solid at all speeds. I suspect the vibration was due to tread cupping on the front tire.:sport12:

Last edited:
Agreed

There always should be a balance between getting the most out of your tires and making sure the bike handles as well as it can. Everything depends on your tires. I had let my handling go down the drain trying to stretch the tires to the end of the season as I did not want to put on new rubber only to sit for 6 months. The difference that new tires makes is truly amazing! The bike handles like a dream, Like it Should!

My thoughts exactly. After dumping the 016's and shodding her with the 023's there is a definite improvement in overall handling. It takes me about 3 or 4 rides to get used to the new rubber. The first ride out I'm practically doing u-turns until I realize that there is less "muscle" needed to initiate a turn. Theres nothing like new rubber!

I had put on my stock D221 front to finish out the season and wow did that thing suck made me remember why I ditched the stock tires,horrible.Now if only I could actually get to ride this year between raindrops

I find PR2's get to be work to steer toward the end but still stick just fine. Oh to get 9,400 out of PR2's or any tire...

Someday I'll learn throttle control :banghead:
Ya right

I find PR2's get to be work to steer toward the end but still stick just fine. Oh to get 9,400 out of PR2's or any tire...

Good point. I had no sensation they were losing their grip. And you're right about the mileage, too. 9400 is a lot a miles. I remember my Avons were done at 5K. (not on the FZ1) Sweet tire, though.

The rear D221 is decent, though too flat of a profile... I am getting all the way to the edge without REALLY leaning the bike over. They hook up ok though. The front is garbage IMO. Zero feedback and has not lasted that long. It's fresh Michelin-time soon....

Is it possible?

Something else has changed with new tires-better gas mileage. The improvement is dramatic! I've gone from averaging 32-34mpg to 38-40mpg.
(This is on a consistent basis and same type of riding.) Could it be just new tires? The improvement is so dramatic, I'm thinking there was a issue with the previous set of tires or how they were mounted and/or balanced. I don't know, but needless to say, I'm very pleased.

I always felt a bit funny getting worse mpg than many new, fuel efficient cars. Though, I always said I didn't care-and I really don't-having the choice between good mpg and so so mpg, I'll choose good mpg. :sport12:

(I'm thinking pure highway, I'll get 42 or 43)

Well, I am overdue at this point. Like Lee, I've stretched the originals for about as far as I can possibly go now. I'm actually eyeing a set of Pilot Power 2 CTs from Jake Wilson. Free ground shipping and the set comes in at $242.98 total. That is stepping up to the 190/55 rear over the stock 50. This is a more rounded and aggressive profile that should allow the bike to drop into the corners a bit easier. :D Maybe bloodhound Tony can spot a better deal on a set somewhere? :D

Back