does this sound normal or....

hey guys i just bought 02 with about 23k miles on it, when idling it makes clunking sounds. does anyone have any experience with this? is this normal? i need some help regarding this because i really don't know how it's suppose to sound. also, bike was throwing 7k error code, i though it had something to do with exhaust being dented but i fixed it by adjusting the exup cables. (thanks to pat's page)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aqTlEVyw1U]YouTube - fz1 idling[/ame]

I wish I could be of more help. Everything sounded a lot like mine till you got to the rear of the exhaust and then closer to the engine. I don't think my 05 sounds quite like that. I can post a clip if you'd like.

Too bad you're so far away or I'd give you my stocker to see if that made a difference.

I wish I could be of more help. Everything sounded a lot like mine till you got to the rear of the exhaust and then closer to the engine. I don't think my 05 sounds quite like that. I can post a clip if you'd like.

Too bad you're so far away or I'd give you my stocker to see if that made a difference.

i think the stock pipe is not functioning right, it's the first on my to do's list with rejet. the primary reason i uploaded this video is to confirm my doubts regarding the rough idle. it sounds like there are rocks inside bouncing around, specially when chocking on cold mornings, it's almost too much to bear. it might need a valve adjustment considering the miles.

Sounds like your EXUP valve cables were too lose and you fixed that by adjusting them. Does the sound change at all after the bike warms up or does it stay the same?

Kinda sounds like my '01 w 17k miles. It sounds like absolute crap (to me) when it's warming up, but idles fine when it's warmed up. Do you notice a difference at all when everythings all up to temp? I was worried about the knocking and what not, but any noise is better than no noise so I hear (regarding valves)

Sounds like your EXUP valve cables were too lose and you fixed that by adjusting them. Does the sound change at all after the bike warms up or does it stay the same?

sound changes a lot after a bike warms up from the exhaust, cold starts it sounds almost like harley with fast gulp..gulp...

after warming up the engine "small rocks" sound is still there.

bike functions perfectly except for the sounds.

hey guys i just bought 02 with about 23k miles on it, when idling it makes clunking sounds. does anyone have any experience with this? is this normal? i need some help regarding this because i really don't know how it's suppose to sound. also, bike was throwing 7k error code, i though it had something to do with exhaust being dented but i fixed it by adjusting the exup cables. (thanks to pat's page)

Warm it up and then spray some Windex on each of the exhaust pipes. This will tell you if any are not getting gas or spark. The Windex should evaporate instantly if the cylinder is working. You also could have a worn EXUP valve bearings which can cause rattling.

Dave

Warm it up and then spray some Windex on each of the exhaust pipes. This will tell you if any are not getting gas or spark. The Windex should evaporate instantly if the cylinder is working. You also could have a worn EXUP valve bearings which can cause rattling.

Dave

thanks for the help, i will try the windex technique, regarding the exup valve bearings, do i need to worry about that knowing that im going to switch to slip-on in like a week?
btw, i just rode 300 miles from LA to Vegas without any problems, i did notice handle bars wobbling at speed (front and back type of thing) you guys think this might have something to do with suspension adjustment (done improperly?)

Tire pressure?
Irregular wear on the front?
Any play in your steering head bearing or tree?

I had a wobble in front a few weeks back and bumped the tires up a few psi and problem solved.

As for the rattle, did you completely disassemble the exup valve for through cleaning? May of made the 7k error code disappear but you may still have some adjustments to fine tune the valve.

A shake up front is typically a poorly worn / under pressured front tire...

A rattling when idling is normally either EXUP or the choke linkage on the carbs.... surging at idle is either uneven adjustment or bad sync.

Tire pressure?
Irregular wear on the front?
Any play in your steering head bearing or tree?

I had a wobble in front a few weeks back and bumped the tires up a few psi and problem solved.

As for the rattle, did you completely disassemble the exup valve for through cleaning? May of made the 7k error code disappear but you may still have some adjustments to fine tune the valve.

the tires are tomahawk t3 front and back in good shape
i just checked pressure 36front/39back
I am going to check for play in the bearings.

i didn't completely disassemble the exup valve, i followed pat's instructions for adjusting the pulley to align with the whole on the lower left side by loosening the cables, they were too tight, anyways i didn't work as error code came back today.
my question regarding exup valve is why try to fix it when im going to change the exhaust anyways, then i am going to disable it anyways?

A shake up front is typically a poorly worn / under pressured front tire...

A rattling when idling is normally either EXUP or the choke linkage on the carbs.... surging at idle is either uneven adjustment or bad sync.

i will inspect my front in more detail to find any signs of damage/wear.
idle dosen't surge it's steady with rattling, will changing the exhaust and rejetting help? how about valve adjustment?

i want to thank everyone for helping me out.

I have an 02 with 5 k miles, I know what you mean about the rock bouncing sound. When it's cold and idling, it does sound like little rocks are bouncing in the lower pipe til it warms up. Other than that it runs and sounds fine.

Steering head bolt tight? Any work to the steering bearings lately? And ditto on the front tire, even a small bubble can cause that. I rode the hell out of my first front tire, it was worn but still looked alright, yet it wobbled.
Good luck!

I have an 02 with 5 k miles, I know what you mean about the rock bouncing sound. When it's cold and idling, it does sound like little rocks are bouncing in the lower pipe til it warms up. Other than that it runs and sounds fine.

Sounds like your EXUP cables are not properly adjusted or the actual bushings in the valve are a little worn. If you don't have a copy of the service manual take a look here for the EXUP cable adjustment procedure. Pretty easy to do.

I had a front end shake at about 90mph on mine, was a worn rear tire. Crazy but that was the problem. As for the sound, check your EXUP setting. I am embarassed to say how far out of adjustment mine were, adjusted and no more rattling. This damn bike has so much power I never noticed the EXUP being out of wack, but since it is adjusted I find it pulls better in mid range

Sounds like your EXUP cables are not properly adjusted or the actual bushings in the valve are a little worn. If you don't have a copy of the service manual take a look here for the EXUP cable adjustment procedure. Pretty easy to do.

Thanks for that link, I had no idea the exup was cable driven. I'm checking it today!

Back