Developed a strange noise...

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Ok, the bike seems to be running in top form. I've got no power or performance issues..... BUT!!!!

Yesterday as I am riding home, I heard a noise... left or clutch side. So, I crack my visor and lean over and the noise is noticeably louder. I move my leg, pointing my knee out away from the bike, and the noise is even louder.

So, I shift down a gear. Noise is still there. Shift up a gear and then another... noise is still there.

But, while shifting I noticed the noise had stopped and started. Let off the throttle. Noise is gone. Back on the throttle, noise is back. Noise is louder as throttle increases. Noise is softer at lower RPMs.

Sooooo, noise is related to throttle, throttle response or something that changes with throttle response. Could be within the intake? AIS Blockoff leaking air? Exhaust leaking?

Tonight, I am going to try checking this with the bike on the center stand and the front wheel locked to the floor so the bike cannot jump and take off. I want to see if I can pinpoint this.

What does it sound like? Let me see if this gives you a clue... of course, this is through wind and a helmet... Picture an OLD electric motor with bad brushes in it, the kind that hiss and arc and spit sparks. Picture hearing that whine/arc/hiss from the worn/bad brushes on the motor. That is the best I can describe it.

As I said though. the bike doesn't seem to care what it is as she is 100% responsive to all throttle movements. She shifts without any issues. Clutch and throttle are smooth.

Was this noise always there and I just never noticed it? Can any other GEN II riders lean over and hear anything similar?

When I figure it out, I'll be sure to reply with the findings! But for now.... :wilynily: :gagged: :eek:

have you tried replicating this on the center stand in the garage? If it's throttle related, and no speed related or movement related.... you should be able to re-enact this in a garage without your gear on.... should make it easier to find..

Back