Dead Clocks

Hi everyone,

I bought an FZ1 with a cracked frame at the beginning of last year as a project, I pulled the engine, had a guy weld it and put it through the MOT within a week and was out enjoying it.

I've serviced it and replaced the rotor as per horror story paranoia and It's been trouble free riding ever since, until now.

The clocks starting shutting off and doing their welcome ceremony when riding every once in a while, but since the bikes been sat for a couple months over the winter, the digital portion of the clocks and the tacho are now completely dead, although the neutral, warning, immobiliser and indicator lamps all still work. I've had the front off looking for any broken wires or anything obvious, but nothing is standing out, I also tested the wires from the loom connection to the clock connection for any breaks with a 12 lamp and everything checked out. I also looked at all the fuses behind the battery, but again, nothing was wrong. I also opened up the clocks to see if there was any obvious burnt out component or broken tracks, dry solder joints, but all way fine.

I'm just about at the limit of my electrical fault finding abilities and no better off, can anyone offer any advice or something else to check before I start looking at replacement clocks. Is there a chance something got pinched when putting the engine back in after welding that could've eventually worn through and caused this?

Thanks in advance for any advice given,

Hi Niceast,

It turned out to be a dead power distribution component in the clocks themselves. I had the part replaced and they've been fine since.

Hi. I have the same issue with my fz1 clocks. Randomly go blank.
Could you tell me where you had the clocks fixed.
Appreciate your help.
Chad

Back