Daytime running lights

didier9

Since I put the HID projectors, I had to remove the headlight modulator, so I wanted to find a way to make myself more conspicuous since most cars now run daylight running lights and HID projectors even during the day.

I found some high brightness LEDs on eBay that come in a nice metal holder, and there is an ideal spot for them under the fairing. The running lights have a broader angle than the headlights so they are very visible even for vehicles coming from a side road.
daytime_lights.png

I intend to use the modulator on the running lights, but for now I am pretty happy how that turns out even without the modulator. They are much brighter than the picture would make you believe. They will burn your eyes even in broad daylight.

I think I paid like $15 for 12 LEDs and I made small aluminium brackets (which I painted blue with the official Yamaha paint) that are stuck under the fairing with exterior rated double sided tape.

I did something similar. I also wired them up to a "Daytime ON" light sensor so they don't work at night and I can't forget them. I attached them direct to the underside of the fairing with loop to loop tape (Super Velcro)

DSCF0109%20modified.jpg

I did something similar. I also wired them up to a "Daytime ON" light sensor so they don't work at night and I can't forget them. I attached them direct to the underside of the fairing with loop to loop tape (Super Velcro)

Looks very nice. What type of HID projectors are those? How do they compare to OEM HID projectors like those that may come standard on new cars? I am asking because I have installed a bi-xenon retrofit kit (I documented it here) and while I am quite happy with it, the pattern is not as good as the OEM HID projectors on my wife's Infinity. I see the kit you installed has the actual HID projector and lens, just like the OEM kits, so I would like to know how happy you are with it.

I used these ones

http://www.ktmotorcycle.com/motorcycle-hid-projector-kt-mt2d-dual-projectors.html

Very happy with them for normal riding. Brilliant on freeways. Not so good for twisties at night as the cut off is very distinct, so you need to use Hi a fair bit when cornering, bit different than a car. Plenty of room inside the fairing to attach all the ballasts etc. again I used self adhesive "Loop to Loop" Super Velcro. Have to be careful when releasing it as you can pull thing apart instead of the Velcro.

I used these ones

motorcycle hid projector KT-MT2D

Very happy with them for normal riding. Brilliant on freeways. Not so good for twisties at night as the cut off is very distinct, so you need to use Hi a fair bit when cornering, bit different than a car. Plenty of room inside the fairing to attach all the ballasts etc. again I used self adhesive "Loop to Loop" Super Velcro. Have to be careful when releasing it as you can pull thing apart instead of the Velcro.

Yes, the pattern is much better (wider) than with my kit.
My kit (low beam):
fetch.php?w=400&tok=ef112b&media=yamaha_fz1:low_beam.jpg

Your kit (low beam):
HID low beam.jpgView attachment 23289

Last edited:
I used these ones

motorcycle hid projector KT-MT2D

What type of HID bulbs do these projectors use?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Pretty much a proprietary design to KT...How have they been so far? Quality robust? Have you had to prematurely replace any bulbs? Has the LED Angel Eyes been durable? It's between KT and Retrofit Source for me...

Been running them for about 20,000km still going strong. Bumpy roads and wheelies don't bother them. One halo went out after about a month but was replaced no questions in about 2 days. Some of the wiring connectors ie high/low needed a little attention to make good contact just a little tweak to the blade. There is a large washer that is part of the mount that was too large a diameter to fit my reflector and I had to reduce it down a little to fit. Overall pretty happy with them. I also fitted a special relay that allows you to start the bike with the lights off, a flick to high beam and all reverts to normal. Made for Triumphs but fits a H4 plug.

Been running them for about 20,000km still going strong. Bumpy roads and wheelies don't bother them. One halo went out after about a month but was replaced no questions in about 2 days. Some of the wiring connectors ie high/low needed a little attention to make good contact just a little tweak to the blade. There is a large washer that is part of the mount that was too large a diameter to fit my reflector and I had to reduce it down a little to fit. Overall pretty happy with them. I also fitted a special relay that allows you to start the bike with the lights off, a flick to high beam and all reverts to normal. Made for Triumphs but fits a H4 plug.
Thanks for the replies @Blanchy. I really appreciate the quick replies.

I started to run the OEMs on high beams during the day because I have cheated death twice so far this year from distracted drivers. I also try to wear a fluorescent shirt and just purchased some matching shoes to make me more visible.

I started to run the OEMs on high beams during the day because I have cheated death twice so far this year from distracted drivers. I also try to wear a fluorescent shirt and just purchased some matching shoes to make me more visible.
I believe High Beams during the day is actually recommended by the motorcycle safety course.

I'm pretty ATGATT myself. Only HiViz I wear right now are my winter gloves though

I'm of the belief that high beams during the day actually are detrimental to safety for a number of reasons. I am all for extra conspicuity and am a staunch supporter of auxiliary lighting and giving the bike additional visible height and width at a glance.

I'm of the belief that high beams during the day actually are detrimental to safety for a number of reasons. I am all for extra conspicuity and am a staunch supporter of auxiliary lighting and giving the bike additional visible height and width at a glance.
Please elaborate on why you are of that belief. It's always interesting to get others perspectives. I haven't been riding long, but I consider myself a road warrior (RevZilla term), because I commute 5-6 days a week with 100+ miles a day and usually rain or shine.

Reason I ask, is because here in California a lot of riders ride with their high beams on during the day. Not at night, unless we're splitting lanes in high traffic.

I do really agree about raising our conspiquity. I just need more money for the parts I actually want for that

I'm curious, what reasons make running high beams during the day detrimental to safety?

Primarily because the high beam can effect oncoming traffic's ability to accurately judge both approach speed and distance. While the bright lights may draw the attention of a driver who's waiting to turn, they may also judge you to be further away and going more slowly than you actually are. I know this has been studied by road safety institutions in places like the UK and their recommendation is always to avoid high beam and add visibility through other means for that very reason.

My bike has two amber running lights at the bottom, two headlights in the middle and two auxiliary LEDs at the top and I think that gives me a good presence and makes me look more like a car, that is, more like every other vehicle on the road. Our primitive brains are great at quickly subconsciously recognising patterns but we tend to not be very quick conscious thinkers.

I think this is a heavily debated topic in the motorcycling world and your mileage may vary.

$0.02

Last edited:
Sounds fair enough, I've always used the normal low beam when riding. Never really thought about using the high beam accept at night on quiet roads.

Sent from my Moto G (4)

Don't like lights during the day, unfortunately no off switch, as per hi viz jackets not my cup of tea, unless I may contemplate riding in the mardi gras

Back