Coolant change questions on Gen II

I am looking for some input on changing the coolant on my bike. I can see what appears to be a coolant drain bolt on the clutch side and I assume that needs to be removed and the radiator cap.

Here is what I am thinking of doing:

1. With the bike cold, remove the drain bolt and the radiator cap and let the system drain.

2. Replace the radiator cap and drain bolt, fill the system with distilled water, run the bike for a couple of minutes and then drain the system again. Repeat this step after filling with distilled water again.

3. Replace the radiator cap and drain bolt, fill the system with 50/50 coolant and distilled water and run the bike again, adjust the amount coolant/water mixture amount as needed.

Yes this is the first time I have done it on a bike.

Thanks.

Go to your local grocery store and buy "White Distilled Vinegar" and mix that 50/50 with some distilled water.

Fill the system with the 50/50 mix, run the bike until warm, let cool, drain and then run clear water through to wash out the vinegar.

It's the same idea as cleaning your coffee maker. The vinegar is acidic enough to remove any scale or impurities, but not so harsh that it will harm your delicate seals and gaskets.

Yes, I am serious... This works very well!

Of course, you can take out the guess work and just use the Engine Ice. No mixing... But it is HIGHLY recommended that you use the vinegar trick if you switch because Engine Ice isn't the same make up as standard coolant. Plus, the bike will run a LOT cooler.

Thanks for the quick input.

The manual states to use a high quality etheylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines, mixing ration 1:1 with water. Any suggested antifreeze? I will probably just go to Walmart for the distilled water and vinegar so something that would be there.

engine ice.

I am prepping mine for this year's track days, and this stuff "claims" to reduce operating temps, and be less toxic than ethylene glycol. They use propylene glycol instead, so it still keeps its' antifreeze capabilities and no worries about freeze up. It is a little costly though, about $20 for 1/2 gallon...I got mine for free from my track day "sponsor". I love free stuff!!

Otherwise, I would go to the cycle shop and buy the Honda coolant/antifreeze. I used that in my previous FZ, with no ill cross-branding side effects. And if you use something else, make sure it is silicate free...and just get the premixed too.

and...and....and....:icon_beer:

Thanks for the quick input.

The manual states to use a high quality etheylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines, mixing ration 1:1 with water. Any suggested antifreeze? I will probably just go to Walmart for the distilled water and vinegar so something that would be there.

Most quality ones will do if you want to stick with stock coolant such as Prestone.

Don't forget that Engine Ice was thought of, created, developed, tested and perfected entirely by motorcycle professionals who own the company. ;) This stuff was specifically designed for our new high-tech engines.

I'm about to replace the radiator on my 2009 FZ1. A nice projectile on the interstates made a large hole in it this morning. Is 70/30 or 50/50 water/antifreeze the right mix?

I'm also going to go buy some gutter guard and make the radiator screen that I should have over the winter. :frown:

I'm about to replace the radiator on my 2009 FZ1. A nice projectile on the interstates made a large hole in it this morning. Is 70/30 or 50/50 water/antifreeze the right mix?

I'm also going to go buy some gutter guard and make the radiator screen that I should have over the winter. :frown:

50/50 is what you want. Just buy the premix stuff. Takes the guess work out of the project.

And yes a radiator guard is a good investment. A member here, jwhelan65, sells some nice ones that many of us are using. Send him a PM if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
the engine ice DOES work I have done side by side comparison with Johnnyontherocks and his bike runs cooler always.Of course my bike is "red hot" so that may be the difference also!!

Hello,
Sorry to revive an old tread. I'm looking at doing my own coolant change for the first time. With three bikes (triumph trophy, fz1 and fz6r) I'm interested in reducing my work load, so I'm looking at Star Tron Star Coolant. Has anyone used this and been happy?

It looks like I could use this and easily go every three years. Or there is engine ice I know, but that is every two year replacement.

Most guys are just pulling the lower hose off and leaving the drain plug alone. The drain plug is prone to snapping off and creating a whole bunch of work to get it out. The hose comes off easily with no risk of anything breaking.

If your doing 3 bikes it most likely will work out a lot cheaper to buy concentrated coolant , I all ways do anyway as all the water does`nt come out, just look up the volume of water/coolant for each bike. I mix at 50/50 and always add the coolant volume first then top up with distilled water . I also fill the reservoir separately at 50/50

Back