Compression damping?

firefly

for a stock 2004 forks, I am at full compression setting, is this a sign that I need stiffer springs?, I was just procrastinating getting race tech springs, will stiffer springs allow for more compression damping adjustment? in other words with stiffer springs can I reduce the compression damping & still have decent suspension. I want to reduce the dive that happens with braking but don't want it too stiff on road bumps.
Thanks

Last edited:
Your forks have 3 adjustments available.

Compression
Rebound
Fork spring preload

If you are running your compression full hard, then you need more than springs. Having the proper springs for your weight will help, but not as much as you would like.

Your forks have 3 adjustments available.

Compression
Rebound
Fork spring preload

If you are running your compression full hard, then you need more than springs. Having the proper springs for your weight will help, but not as much as you would like.

Pre-load is at its max, compression at its max, I am not sure about the rebound setting it is probably stock setting.

for a stock 2004 forks, I am at full compression setting, is this a sign that I need stiffer springs?, I was just procrastinating getting race tech springs, will stiffer springs allow for more compression damping adjustment? in other words with stiffer springs can I reduce the compression damping & still have decent suspension. I want to reduce the dive that happens with braking but don't want it too stiff on road bumps.
Thanks
Put some cable ties around the forks sliders [near the top seal] to check out how much of the fork travel you are using,or do you bottom out?

It's time for a rebuild. I remember reading that the Gen1 forks contaminate the fork oil quickly due to bushing wear. One thing to consider is the balance of the bike. Gen1 FZ1s are softly sprung form the factory, but they are equally soft front and rear. Now, if you put heavier fork springs in the front, you also should go heavier in the rear. The stock shock rebound will not control a heavier shock spring satisfactory to most without a revalve. It may be time for the R6 shock kit.

Thanks for all replies & the good pointers, I guess I'll have to rebuild the forks, change springs and install the R6 shock I bought a while back.

Back