Code 19 kickstand switch 2009 FZ1

So ever since a couple days ago my ‘09 FZ1 has been throwing a code 19 & engine light and won’t start. It will start if I go back and forth from 1st & neutral and rub on it just right. Also dies sometimes while I pull in the clutch in first gear. My clutch switch & wires and what not seem to be in good working condition. I have not removed the kickstand switch itself for inspection. Every thread I can find is pointing to the kickstand switch being faulty. I popped the gas tank up and disconnected the kickstand switch relay and attempted to start it, same issue, code 19. I’ve tried everything short of splicing the wires to fool the bike and bypass the kickstand switch all together. Anyone who has had this issue or knows of anyone who has your response would be greatly appreciated. Stay safe out there brothers!

I have replaced my rotor! The oil/water pump? I started that process but quickly realized I was out of my depth! Took it to my mechanic and even he said it was a b... to do...

I don't like either problems haha but I have replaced the rotor and the oil/water pump on a Gen 2...but otherwise has been very reliable.

For the code 19 it is most likely the side stand switch as that is what is listed in the service manual. The neutral switch should be overridden by the clutch being pulled in. The sidestand won't be and it won't start in gear if the ECU thinks the side stand is down.

If anyone is having this issue and looking around online I figured I’d share my results for you. Just got my bike back from the mechanic. Something about corrosion on an ignition component. He cleaned it up now its running like a champ. Had absolutely nothing to do with the kickstand switch.

Oxidation of copper contacts in electrical connector. The males are easy to clean the female side takes ingenuity. Baking soda might help as well. Be interesting to see how many other bikes are helped by this simple fix. Could also tape over the connector once joined to keep it dry, maybe use dialectic grease on the contacts as well. .........................belt and suspender approach.

Back