clutchless shifting

Hi
Sure this has been covered at some point but how many of you shift gears without the use of the clutch ? Ive been doing this more of late and find you can get a better smoother /transition between changes ,is the gearbox on the fz1 up to the job ? Dont want to wreck it ;) ))

As long as you let off the throttle and press firmly so as not to get caught in between 1st. And 2nd. It's fine.

All of the electronic assisted shifting tools as well as air shifters simply cut throttle for an instant as the bike kicks into the next gear. As long as it feels smooth then it's should be fine. I cannot attest to how the impact is on longevity but if it was bad, I'm sure it would be a more universal "don't". I like the feel of a "power shift" when I'm at 8k+ as I agree that it feels smoother and has a quicker transition.

I upshift without the clutch all the time, under moderate acceleration, once in second. But I use the clutch when downshifting (still breaking it in). I really depends how you ride, and your "ear."

Same boat here. I upshift without the clutch all the time now buuuuuuut I do wanna save for a quick shifter so I can clutchless shift at WOT. Haha.

Maaaa! I wanna sound like an F1 caaaaa!

I use the clutch all the time, my mechanic showed me a gear box that the previous owner clutch less up shifted on, it had damaged teeth on the edge of the gears.
My bike isn't owned by a race team who pays for all costs if something goes wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I only use the clutch when doing slow manoeuvres and stopping. I generally clutchless shift up & down unless in really slow traffic, then I use it. I do use itif shifting high in the rev range so as not to throw myself off the back.

If you do it right there is no harm when done at high rpm. Between 1st and 2nd better use the clutch, always use at downshift. As others said you have to pre-load the lever and blib the throttle close. It requires a bit of practice to do it right. On the road I always use the clutch, no need for the last bit of acceleration and I am rarely at > 8k rpm and shift on the street. The clutchless shifting is mainly for the track were everything counts.

Back