Clutch cable issue

didier9

The small rubber boot at the clutch end of the cable is cooked. It is sticky and started decomposing. The cable otherwise seems perfectly functional (the bike, a 2003 FZ1, has 13,000 miles).
I do not want to replace the cable now, but I am concerned that without the boot, water could get in the cable and accelerate its demise.
Any recommendation will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Didier

I know the part you're talking about and I looked it up on the microfiche to see if you could order it alone; no dice. I think you don't really have much to worry about to be honest. If you're concerned about moisture and the like, I'd suggest just lubing the cable on a regular basis to keep it working well.

There's a friend of the forum who has a clever system for lubing control cables via a syringe. I've purchased a bunch of kits from him and have lubed many cables with them.

This is his site; nice guy: EZ Glider Cable Lubrication

Electrical tape or heavy 3M rubber tape. It is indeed a crude fix, but it works. I had to do it on my old Suzuki. You just have to re tape after every clutch adjustment.

Yes, that's what I was tempted to do. I am not sure how long the cable is supposed to last, but with 13,000 miles in 12 years, the bike does not appear to have been abused and the cable otherwise looks fine.

Even if I had the piece of rubber, there is no way to install it past the cable ends anyhow, so any fix will be kinda kludgy. Right now, I just want to remove the mess before any of it goes on my pants :)

Thanks

Didier

Back