Clunking sound while turning over manually

When turning over my 2009 FZ1 motor slowly by hand (at the crank end using a hand tool) there's a clunk you can both hear and feel. I know the timing chain is kind of lose, but I don't know if this could cause it.

I was reading another blog (on a different model) and the counter-balancing shaft gear was mentioned.

I was told by mechanic that this could lead to engine seizure at any time (dangerous) or, that it could go another 50,000 miles with no problem (this seemed like conflicting recommendation from the mechanic). I'd love to try his suggestion it will go another 50,000 mi., but I am concerned about the rider-safety of an engine seizure.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what this could be for someone who has already paid $400 to have this looked at and being told any further diagnosis would be much more expensive? I bought this bike because I don't have much money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Esteban

Last edited:
Thanks, Lytehouse. I hope someone picks up on this and knows something helpful. Could you tell me if there's a better way of reaching folks than in this technical blog?

Do you hear anything while it's running? Any engine has clearance between the bearings and the crankshaft that is filled with oil when it's running, that may be what you're hearing. If it's quiet when it's running, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
Don't think a gen 2 has a balance shaft, I know for sure a gen one doesn't.
It could possibly be the magnets coming loose in the stator, gen 2's are famous for that. But you should be hearing something when it's running if that has happened.
How long have you owned this bike? Can you post a video? As is, we don't have much to go on.

Last edited:
Clunking Sound Videos

It's a 2009 FZ1, so it's a gen 2. The engine sounds fine when it's running. It's just when you turn it by hand. This is what the mechanic told me. I've not actually heard it myself. He said it could lock up catastrophically. It's my girlfriend's bike and I'm trying to help her with it, actually. I have a couple of short video's that will show the problem exactly. It may take me a few minutes to get them loaded. Please stand by.

I tried loading the video files but the application says it does not support the file format, which is .3gp

Can anybody help me out? How can I get my videos uploaded? Which file formats are supported?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Does it do this with the clutch pulled in?

Has the Stator been replaced previously?

which side of the engine is this coming from?

There are lots of things this could be.

Does it do this with the clutch pulled in?

Has the Stator been replaced previously?

which side of the engine is this coming from?

There are lots of things this could be.

The engine was not running. The mechanic turned the crank by hand with a wrench on the left side of the engine, while the transmission was in neutral. The sound was like that of a continuous clunk-clunk-clunk. It was not noticeable with the engine running. The mechanic is very experienced, and said the engine was in danger of possibly seizing up, based on this noise, which he said he could not pinpoint. He said to pinpoint it would cost another $400+ to disassemble the engine and find the problem. No offense to the mechanic, but that just sounded too drastic, and we don't have that kind of money.

I was hoping that someone with some previous experience with this problem might be able to shed some light on it.

I greatly appreciate your interest in this issue. Every time someone asks a question this problem gets better defined. I have two short videos that I would like to upload but as I mentioned above, the system keeps telling me it does not recognize the 3gp file format.

Upload the videos to youtube (or similar) and then copy the URL to the youtube video here.

The other FZ1 forum has a lot more daily traffic than this one, you might find an answer on that forum quicker than here. Most users here are also over there.

It has already cost $400+ and, so far, all he's done is diagnose it. As stated, he thinks the clunking sound means the engine could seize up at any moment, or, possibly go for another 50,000 miles. It' that level of uncertainty I cannot stand. The guy runs a large and reputable business. I want to know if anybody's had experience with this sort of thing, perhaps they can steer us in the right direction.

You said the only way to hear this noise is by turning the crank with a wrench at the left side of the engine, and that it is quiet when running.
Why did your mechanic have the left side cover off anyway and what did your mechanic just do that just cost $400?
If you want help, you're going to have to answer questions asked of you and post a good video.
Responding to the questions in a timely manner wouldn't hurt either. Good luck with the other forum.

Last edited:
Upload the videos to youtube (or similar) and then copy the URL to the youtube video here.

The other FZ1 forum has a lot more daily traffic than this one, you might find an answer on that forum quicker than here. Most users here are also over there.

I'm sorry again to take so long in responding. I actually did respond in some detail soon after you posted this, but due to a connection problem, it was lost. I put about a half-hour into it, and it was disheartening. Anyway, I like your suggestion of uploading to Youtube, etc., and I will try that ASAP. Later tonight.

You mention another forum: Which other forum would you suggest?

Thanks so much for your patience. Stand by for the videos. Thanks.

You also asked about the $400 and what was it for. I'm not sure exactly was done initially that cost $400. I'll find out if you think that would help. But it was estimated that the additional $400 would be to diagnose the clunking. We just thought that someone out there reading this blog might have already experienced this problem and might be able to give us some advice.

Stand by for videos later tonight!

You are right, Justpassinthru. I need to stay on top of this. In fact, I did respond to you over a week ago, but lost my internet connection when I was sending it, and my response was lost. It was very detailed and took some time and effort to put it together. Sorry about that. I've sent another response today.

I hope you can let me know which blog would be best to post this. I am going to attempt to post the videos tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

Esteban

the other forum is FZ1OA. It has a lot more traffic than this one. This forum had to change the web address which caused a lot of users to fade away. It was unfortunate as this forum was the best for before that happened.

I'm sorry again to take so long in responding. I actually did respond in some detail soon after you posted this, but due to a connection problem, it was lost. I put about a half-hour into it, and it was disheartening. Anyway, I like your suggestion of uploading to Youtube, etc., and I will try that ASAP. Later tonight.

You mention another forum: Which other forum would you suggest?

Thanks so much for your patience. Stand by for the videos. Thanks.

You also asked about the $400 and what was it for. I'm not sure exactly was done initially that cost $400. I'll find out if you think that would help. But it was estimated that the additional $400 would be to diagnose the clunking. We just thought that someone out there reading this blog might have already experienced this problem and might be able to give us some advice.

Stand by for videos later tonight!

You're asking me which forum???
You're the one who mentioned another forum in post number 11 and I quote: "Thank you, I will try to reach folks through the other forum. I appreciate this."
OK, which forum were you talking about in post # 11?
I asked what your guy had done already that cost $400, and you don't know?
Why was your mechanic turning the crankshft when he supposedly discovered this problem and why was this bike taken to him in the first place?
I've already told you that any engine will have clearance when turning by hand that can be heard and felt but you seem to have ignored that.
You said this engine didn't make any strange noises when running which seems to confirm that it's heathy.
If you expect help on ANY forum, you're going to have to provide more info than you have and answer the questions asked of you.
I'm done with this.

Last edited:
Back