Clunk when shifting into first/clutch noise

Okay guys I finally got my 2013 FZ1 back on the road. It was a project bike I bought that had been laid over and bent the forks and did a little cosmetic damage. Bike has 3400 miles on it.

Anyways, when shifting from neutral to first after starting the bike up I get a nice big clunk. I'm guessing chain needs to be adjusted. What is the best way to set these chains properly (not how to adjust the chain, but best method for getting the play just right)? I don't have a service manual and I know factory specs are often a little on the tight side.

Also, when sitting in neutral after just firing the bike up there is some noise from the bottom end. When you pull the clutch in it goes away. I know some of the older R1s and R6s and CBR's were notorious for making noise when in neutral and it was just the nature of the beast. I was curious if this is normal or if it's something I need to look into.

Thanks,
Spencer

When the bike is cold [or hot for that matter] I always start engine in gear when moving off, I do this with all of my bikes, to avoid any clunking, much easier on first gear. Yes, I also run the chain on the loose side for better life of chain and sprockets, I have 50,000klms on mine and are still good, flipped over front sprocket at 35,000klms

Last edited:
The clutch noise is normal. Just a bit of rattle when not loaded. If you think its bad, listen to a ducati with a dry clutch, that should relax you.

if you pull the clutch in and wait about 5 seconds before dropping it in to gear you should find it a lot quieter , gives the oil chance to get around the plates

It will clunk to some degree. That is rather normal. I usually shift into first as I approach the stop and hold in the clutch while standing. Doing this you rarely hear/feel a heavy clunk.

My mechanic just changed my clutch plates to get rid of the clunking, and guess what.. Even worse.., plus the bike was pulling even with the clutch engaged. Now he put back the old plates in and I guess I'll have to live with the notorious yamaha clonk.

Skickat från min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk

It will clunk to some degree. That is rather normal. I usually shift into first as I approach the stop and hold in the clutch while standing. Doing this you rarely hear/feel a heavy clunk.

Great idea, until your clutch cable snaps, shooting you in to on comming traffic. Oh well. Live and learn.

Great idea, until your clutch cable snaps, shooting you in to on comming traffic. Oh well. Live and learn.

Preposterous. Even if it did snap, you can just apply the brakes until the bike stalls.

I understand that MSF course teaches leaving bike in gear when stopped, in case the rider needs to avoid being rear-ended.

I always stay at lights in gear with one eye on my mirrors at all times. It's saved me from being run over by an inattentive driver before. I'll never forget the sight of a white Ford Explorer with his wheels locked up, sliding through the space I once occupied. I even remember the look on the guy's face.

Last edited:

Actually about 40 years ago the clutch cable did snap on my Suzuki enduro at a light. I'm still here and the bike wasn't flung into traffic since I keep a brake on while standing so the brake light is more visible, sorry to disappoint you.

I remember the first time my fz made that clunk MAN that's a bad sound and I could feel those gears grinding together . Its pretty cheesy if you ask me I thought I seazed the motor. When your sitting at a light you better have your bike in gear and paying attention WTF ?

Mine clunks into first gear from starting the bike cold. I now pull the clutch in, give it a quick blip on the throttle and knock it into gear. The quick blip on the gas seems to stop the big clunk when you select 1st gear... Sorted..

Doomsday preaching.. If you think like that you should not be riding motorcycles at all.

Skickat från min HTC One_M8 via Tapatalk

Really? Ive survived this sport for 31 years and counting. If you dont want to take advice from an old dog that has experienced wany different things than dont. I will not however take advice from someone that quotes Mr. Spock and thinks thats cool. Lol. Live long and prosper my foolish friend.

idle speed

Okay guys I finally got my 2013 FZ1 back on the road. It was a project bike I bought that had been laid over and bent the forks and did a little cosmetic damage. Bike has 3400 miles on it.

Anyways, when shifting from neutral to first after starting the bike up I get a nice big clunk. I'm guessing chain needs to be adjusted. What is the best way to set these chains properly (not how to adjust the chain, but best method for getting the play just right)? I don't have a service manual and I know factory specs are often a little on the tight side.

Also, when sitting in neutral after just firing the bike up there is some noise from the bottom end. When you pull the clutch in it goes away. I know some of the older R1s and R6s and CBR's were notorious for making noise when in neutral and it was just the nature of the beast. I was curious if this is normal or if it's something I need to look into.

Thanks,
Spencer

try reducing the idle speed as much as possible, to maybe 700rpm or so

Back