Cleaning Exhaust pipes

why would anyone care to clean their exhaust pipe? I mean what's the concept here, somewhat like a clogged chiminey needing to be cleaned, i guess.

OUTSIDE of the pipes (the shiny part) me thinks he refers to. Although a scene from Mary Poppins came to mind when I read your post. :poke:

OUTSIDE of the pipes (the shiny part) me thinks he refers to. Although a scene from Mary Poppins came to mind when I read your post. :poke:

Oh the outside i can see, I clean mine as well as on my cruiser. Gotta keep it shiny.

As for the movie you refered to, I haven't seen it so now you have me a little curious.

As for the movie you refered to, I haven't seen it so now you have me a little curious.

You haven't lived until you have seen this disney classic. If you are old enough to have a drivers licence I suggest that you sit down and have a few drinks first, you'll enjoy it more.;)

Hmmmmm

Ok pretty simple. A it is some hard or rather time consuming work. B it is easiest to remove the headers to do it.(Header is what he is talkin about) When removing be gentle as not to damage gaskets on head pipe. Also be gentle with header studs, WD40 and heat from a butane tourch work well to remove without damage.
Now the nitty gritty of it, you'll need to sticks of polishing compound. 1 black for cleaning surface rust and discolor and 1 green to buff to shine. Also needed 1 corded drill and two sisel pads.(pads for buffing) Use 1 pad for black compound and 1 for green. Put pipes in vice on shop table (Genlty now), start with bla,k compound. Apply sparingly and often to sisel wheel. Polish with the grain( up down length of pipe not across) once cleaned to your satisfaction,switch to green on new pad and buff.
Warning: Dirty job so be prepared,and takes time but you can make them look like factory new.

Ps wipe down pipes once re mounted to remove any oil,fingerprints ect as these will burn sots on pipes you just made perfect.

I will try to maintain this look. I bought this FZ1 a few months ago.. It has 80.000 miles and this is the first time that the exaust pipes have been cleaned :)

Left: before
Right: 4 hours and 1 tube of "Purol polish" later

:)

Holy snapping duck s#!? batman!!!!!!!! Damn that turned out well!!!! You just used that Purol Polish then? by hand or did you use a machine? (cordless drill and buffing wheel?)

Guess I'll have to find the time to pull my headers off when I get home and do some cleaning....

I'm unhappy with the standard finish from the end of the headers back. Asked the local Yammy deal for a price on header gaskets. $20 each! Makes a clean up damn expensive. Looked to the good old US fo A $ 3 somthing each but $45 shipping. Any suggestions?

I'm unhappy with the standard finish from the end of the headers back. Asked the local Yammy deal for a price on header gaskets. $20 each! Makes a clean up damn expensive. Looked to the good old US fo A $ 3 somthing each but $45 shipping. Any suggestions?

You can use the old gaskets, no need for new ones :) Thats what I did :) And not the first time either..

You can use the old gaskets, no need for new ones :) Thats what I did :) And not the first time either..

Yea, the gaskets are certainly reusable, especially on a low mileage bike. They are sort of a copper crush gasket. I've reused mine through three exhaust changes and they are still sealing great :)

Yea, the gaskets are certainly reusable, especially on a low mileage bike. They are sort of a copper crush gasket. I've reused mine through three exhaust changes and they are still sealing great :)
Thanks guys I was hoping that might be the case. Just didn't want to sound tight!

Back