Centerstand on NOT ! ?

Two Wheels

Gents:

Manual says, put bike on centerstand, warm up, turn off engine, give in several minutes, check engine oil. But in the forums, we're saying flat surface, upright, then check oil ... no centerstand.

Is there a right answer? Oil level differs (less on centerstand).

Just curious ... Ive got a complex about oil .... !!

I use the method provided in the manual and when I do an oil change and then check the oil level it's on the mark. When you put the correct amount of oil in (so you know where the level should be reading) you can check both methods to see which one is readng closer to where it should be.

Gents:

Manual says, put bike on centerstand, warm up, turn off engine, give in several minutes, check engine oil. But in the forums, we're saying flat surface, upright, then check oil ... no centerstand.

Is there a right answer? Oil level differs (less on centerstand).

Just curious ... Ive got a complex about oil .... !!

Manual says put on centerstand because if you just have it "standing upright" some idiot would get off the bike and try to hold the bike up by the right hand grip. The bike would either fall on him, kill him or break a few bones or just fall over and damage the bike. If the manual told you do just hold the bike upright the idiot that dropped it would sue Yamaha because they told him to do it that way. Yamaha is avoiding a stupid lawsuit.

HA ! Thats funny and very true.

Yes it is. I know. I work for attorneys from time to time. I am an expert witness for personal injury cases. Mostly machine guarding, slip fall etc. Some I look at I ask...Are you kidding me? You want me to say it was who's fault it was that you tried to take the fan belt off with the motor running and lost three fingers on one hand and two on the other?

I'm faced with the same exposure on a construction site. Mainly new hires that don't know all the inns and outs and come from the residential side where OSHA doesn't always come knocking.

BroHay

I'm faced with the same exposure on a construction site. Mainly new hires that don't know all the inns and outs and come from the residential side where OSHA doesn't always come knocking.

BroHay

hire me as a consultant. Do some good training with them.

center stand?????....:jaw drop:.hmmm.....wouldnt even remember where I put that when i tore it off the first day I got the bike...likely near the stock exhaust, windscreen, rear pegs.....

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1oil.htm
Here is a link showing how to change oil. I use the aluminum foil trick on the pipes when removeing the filter. I also place bike on kickstand too and lean to left to drain even more oil after most has drained from centerstand. Then place back on centerstand to fill and check level. I also like to use the purolater filter(long one) micro filter about $6.00 at pep boys and shell
rotella-t 5w-40 synthetic in blue container. About $19.99 for a gallon at wal-mart. Great oil.

Back