Carb boot mystery sauce

The title is not a joke lol.
There is some kind of sticky substance that looks and feels like thin tree sap leaking out of the bottom out of carb #1, and a little bit for the rest of the carbs.
Here is some images of it.
I just want to know if anyone else had the same problem or knows what it could be. I honestly dont know what it could be; gas, oil, a tree in the carb boot.
Things to mention; previous owner said that Ivan jet kit is installed, so the carbs have been off the bike at some point. I am running 10w-40. I use 93 octane gas. (waste of money, I know) Potential oil leak for exhaust port #2 valve seals. I have no clue when/if a valve adjustment has been done to this engine, its currently at 45.5K miles. It smelled like gas in the garage roughly 1.5 hours after putting away the bike, although there was no other leaks anywhere on the bike.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_9528.jpeg
    IMG_9528.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9527.jpeg
    IMG_9527.jpeg
    824.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9526.jpeg
    IMG_9526.jpeg
    979.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Mine did the same thing after about 200K miles. Went away with new boots. It looks a little more orange on a silver motor.

Is it still in the boot? I don't really care if it is. It will flow into the cylinder when there is too much and get burnt.

If you don't want to buy new boots (oem are expensive) then take them off, clean surface, clean engine area and re-tighten. I suspect that all higher mileage carbed bikes have similar medicated goo. Personally I'd live with till I had a need to remove carbs. PS mine isn't Ivanized.

When I first noticed mine I thought the Outlaw Josey Wales had missed his dog when spitting some chew.

Thanks for the reply,
Yeah they probably are the original, if not then 12+ year old boots. If it only gets worse then I'll see if I could justify the price and my labor. It shouldn't be that bad to replace, hopefully.
The goo has more of an orange tinge to it when I wiped it with a paper towel.

The modifications to the air filter housing cover (added holes) probably helps condensation collect and roll down the boots towards the cylinders. But But But you said you didn't do Ivans , yea but I did do Raven Rider mods.

Funny enough, the previous owner didn't add the holes to the air filer housing cover. Still stock. I was debating on adding the holes as anything below ~2k rpm seems a little choked out. Idk could be my own issue buts thats a story for another day.

Miine was leaking from the #1 cylinder only. Is your's leaking from more than #1? Those are socket headed screws that hold the boot to the head.

You could try to tighten them with a flexible ratchet with socket head or just a metric allen style wrench, also wondering if it could be loosened and retightened after running some sort of flexible material (piece of thin plastic sheet with cloth wrapped around it) to clean the surface. Be careful not to damage boot. Might save you from having to pull carbs. I doubt you could do that with the middle two boots though.

I park my bike 93.534% of the time on the center stand. Was wondering if mine was only on the #1 cylinder due to being parked and running on side stand occasionally.

You could also easily pull the air filter and look into the Air Cleaner Case Assy (had to look that up) to see if there is a puddle. If there is any sauce wipe it away with a mcnugget or french fry.

My boots had cracks everywhere on them as most do, and it only leaked at the attachment interface.

Last edited:
I wasn't in a hurry and watched Ebay till I found OEM at reasonable cost. Took two purchases to get all four. There are a lot of aftermarket boots that are dirt cheap. I suspect they would work just fine

There are still plenty of fake oem parts on ebay, i learned that buying coils for my ford rv. The chinese had to up their game and they did.

Inlet manifolds are the Achilles heel of old oil cooled suzuki's and are becoming very hard to find. My experience with them has me thinking i should buy a couple sets for the fz1. That said, im sure the oil boiler is much harder on them than a water cooler fz1. China makes tons of them for every oil cooled variant, and they are a complete waste of money.

The ones I bought had the standard OEM label and part no. Clearly they could have been faked. I think people see the cracks forming, buy them in anticipation, and then never install them due to hassle of pulling carbs. Sell the bike. Sell the parts.

Had I not had time to wait for OEM, I would have tried after market. It's just fuel resistant molded rubber. The aftermarket ones are same thickness. When it comes to molded rubber the other expensive OEM part is the radiator hoses.

Yeah I park my bike on the center stand when it sits for more than a quick stop. It’s weird that boot #1 has the most leakage even when level. I’ll dive into this issue eventually if it gets worse, but I might look into the airbox first and see if there is anything else going on there.
I’m not gonna post if the airbox is clean, which I suspect it to be.

Back