Canada to Host U.S.A. in 2014?

Any of our Canadian brothers willing to host or help organize a meet/ride in Canada in 2014? I would be willing to help in any way I can.

Call it a bucket list thing... You guys have scenery there that I can only dream of. Many of us have talked about heading that way to visit you guys here and there over the years on this forum.

Lets start to get something set in stone?

I picture finding some scenic location in the mountains where we can all meet each evening at an affordable hotel and run day trips through the surrounding areas. Of course I have no idea what would be a good place for such an event.

What say you?

If your plans send you up to British Columbia (and they should), I would be happy to be your guide. I actually have a great spot in mind as a base camp and it would offer access to a bunch of great roads in all directions

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're looking to go West, but there are some great trips in Ontario and Quebec too. My door is open for any East Coast riders who want to sample some tight traffic laws and expensive gas North of the border.

I reckon the Canadian Rockies in eastern BC and western AB, and reaching down to Glacier Park in MT are top drawer and offer top drawer roads and scenery. Haven't done it on a bike but have enjoyed this scenery from a cage.

I'm guessing you're looking to go West, but there are some great trips in Ontario and Quebec too. My door is open for any East Coast riders who want to sample some tight traffic laws and expensive gas North of the border.

With as many members in the states as we have in the central and eastern U.S. areas I think that would be best.

....so bring our own gas? ;)

Well I have a HUGE house for about one more year (I will probably sell in 2013) so if Canada comes down I will host a night in Texas.
I also have another week of vacation for the 2013 year. After the pics that Oldschool posted - I would be interested in the Canada trip.

:sport12:

That sounds like a great trip, but I'm not sure how long it would take. It's hard to get away that long with a 13 year old son and 11 year old daughter. My fat but may need to wait until I can get an FJR or something :(

I've been to the Great White North once with my uncle and cousin to fish for a week. It is beautiful. I'd have to lean toward no, but I really want to. Leave me out of the plans, and if it happens to fit for me, I'll join in. I'd love to meet up part way there with some others if that would work out.

I hope the trip can happen with or without me. Be safe!

There are in fact some great roads in Ontario, I would like to meet up with whoever drops in to the Toronto area. There are some nasty Racing/Stunt Laws up here to consider though.

Glacier National Park to Banff AB the up to Jasper BC is one of the best rides you will do in your life. Amazing scenery and wildlife everywhere. Did that trip on my FZ6 last year.

Glacier National Park (couldn't find my Jasper hwy pics)

CIMG1958.JPG

CIMG1978.JPG

Glacier National Park to Banff AB the up to Jasper BC is one of the best rides you will do in your life. Amazing scenery and wildlife everywhere. Did that trip on my FZ6 last year.

Glacier National Park (couldn't find my Jasper hwy pics)

CIMG1958.JPG

CIMG1978.JPG

It is gorgeous. What is the best time of the year to head that way?

It is gorgeous. What is the best time of the year to head that way?

The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Park which goes over the Continental Divide usually doesn't open until June (they can have snow 60-100 ft deep on the East side of the pass, known as the Big Drift), so this part of the world is best seen in July and August.

Here is their current status, they are making progress but they have to move a lot of snow, they start in April:

http://montanasnewsstation.com/news/glacier-plowing-crews-making-progress/#_

Even if you can't make this road on a bike it is worth it in a car.......road built in the Depression at a constant slope so an old Ford could be put in 3rd gear and be able to putt putt up the grade. It is one of the worlds great road civil engineering projects in one of the most scenic places in the USA, running parallel to The Garden Wall.

Last edited:
And free medical! We pay higher taxes and you have to pay medical insurance, it all washes out.

No such thing as free. As the old saw goes, "If you think (fill in the blank) is expensive now, wait until it's free". When I lived in Nova Scotia I had a colleague who had a hernia, his doctor said he couldn't work, and it took 10 months for the 'free' system to get around to the surgery and he sat at home and collected his salary while waiting. This was a surgery that would have been done in a week in the US. It was crazy but there is such a shortage of medical people (at least in the eastern provinces) that the system is overloaded, which is why many Canadians travel to the US for prompt medical care. It is what it is but 'free' has it's own price. I had my own Nova Scotia Social Insurance card but thankfully I never had to use their system.

A few years ago Danny Williams, Newfoundland's Premier, travelled to the US for invasive heart surgery rather than have it done in Canada. It created a big stir in Canada at the time. He was wealthy enough to be able to afford the best and most prompt care, but when you have money you have lots of options. Single payer systems lower the quality for everybody, except for those that can afford to pay for it elsewhere.

Anyway, no need to hijack the thread. There are great roads in Canada, but travel in general will be more expensive, for no other reason then gas is higher priced but that should not be a deal breaker.

Last edited:
I'm in the Upper midwest. I actually was planning a quick blast to Niagara falls. However Glacier park looks Amazing. I'm game for a couple of days in the Great White North.

Back