BMW S1000R or Apriia Tuono V4R or Super Duke 1290 or keep the Yamaha?

I sat on the Tuono and at 6'4" my feet didn't fit on the rearsets well and the forward lean was just a little too uncomfortable. I sat on the S1000R and it fit me much better, and the SuperDuke1290 at the dealer has a sticker, please don't sit on me for it

If I had the money it would be between an S1000R and the Super Duke R 1290.

ps I was super in love with the Tuono until I sat on it.

And no matter what do what you want to do. When I was talking about getting the Fz1 after crashing my Fz6 I had 5-6 pages on here of people laying into me telling me it's not the bike, I wasn't ready, go take more classes, etc. 40,000 miles later and I'm still riding the shit out of my Fz1 and loving it. So do what you want, remember it's all in the wrist and what's situated between your ears.

I sat on the Tuono and at 6'4" my feet didn't fit on the rearsets well and the forward lean was just a little too uncomfortable. I sat on the S1000R and it fit me much better, and the SuperDuke1290 at the dealer has a sticker, please don't sit on me for it

And no matter what do what you want to do. When I was talking about getting the Fz1 after crashing my Fz6 I had 5-6 pages on here of people laying into me telling me it's not the bike, I wasn't ready, go take more classes, etc. 40,000 miles later and I'm still riding the shit out of my Fz1 and loving it. So do what you want, remember it's all in the wrist and what's situated between your ears.

You should mention that you crashed the Fz1 within the day you had it! You should have listen to the people here but you never do. I just hope the thread start factors this in before deciding.

If you think the bike is to slow for you because you can not keep up with other than you should always invest into riding training or look for other riders to tour around. A faster bike without the skill will only increase the chance of crashing. In case that you do not like the bike and want something else than that's totally understandable and up to taste.

If you think the bike is to slow for you because you can not keep up with other than you should always invest into riding training or look for other riders to tour around. A faster bike without the skill will only increase the chance of crashing. In case that you do not like the bike and want something else than that's totally understandable and up to taste.

This is it exactly. If you want a new bike, go for it! It's fun to try new things and every bike has a different personality. That said, if you think you need a faster bike because you can't keep up with your mates on group rides, you're wrong.

This is a fun video showing what's possible on inferior hardware:
[video=youtube;Kz03sQeX02c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c[/video]

Yes the mass of the bike is small for a liter bike, especially compared to the FZ1. It's about the size of my R6. Much narrower between the legs with the V4 vs. and I4.

On my bike I use SATO lowering rearsets. The pegs are about 1.5 inches forward, and about 1 inch lower. At 6' it helps unwind my legs. Some guys use the risers from the Aprilia Mana to bring the bar up and back and the stock position is very racy.

This is it exactly. If you want a new bike, go for it! It's fun to try new things and every bike has a different personality. That said, if you think you need a faster bike because you can't keep up with your mates on group rides, you're wrong.

This is a fun video showing what's possible on inferior hardware:
[video=youtube;Kz03sQeX02c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c[/video]

That's why I like my 600 on the track. I've blown by many larger bikes on my little 600, smooth is fast. Big bikes and be harder to ride at speed too. The guy in the video really runs some nice, clean lines.

Last edited:
That's why I like my 600 on the track. I've blown by many larger bikes on my little 600, smooth is fast. Big bikes and be harder to ride at speed too. The guy in the video really runs some nice, clean lines.

most guys, and by most i mean 95%, on liters, don't ride them properly, so it's definitely fun to show em up on smaller bikes, until the straight comes and they blow by you, but then you get em on the brakes again!

Does anyone have any experience with the BMW S1000R, Apriia Tuono V4R or KTM Super Duke 1290?

Thinking of selling the 08 FZ1 and buying one of these three. Most pro reviewers said the BMW is the most reliable of the three and the KTM has issues with parts supply.

I have NOT figured out wether this is all ego, since my riding weekend friends own BMWs, Ducatis, and MV Agusta.

The wife really likes the BMW, "If you want that BMW, sell the Yamaha and buy the S1000R." I could not believe that when I heard it. The 2015 BMW S1000R lists at $15,450 in Sacramento, but two BMW dealers in Los Angeles have a 2014 for $12,950.

Maybe I just need some Track Day lessons to keep up with my friends on our rides to Napa.

View attachment 22143
Total Control class is only $200.
Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic

You should mention that you crashed the Fz1 within the day you had it! You should have listen to the people here but you never do. I just hope the thread start factors this in before deciding.

The bike was not responsible for me crashing. I think that's why I said it's in the wrist and what's between the ears. I went full retard when I got my Fz1. From what I remember about the OP post in the past he seems on the conservative end and not likely to attempt to fly through a park going triple the speed limit.

I also immediately went to the Advanced Rider Course about a month after the crash and started riding with better riders. Then going across the country to learn canyon riding in California and tour through western Colorado.

Ultimately the bike is the tool, how one uses it is up to the owner. That was the take away I got from all the love I received after being told not to buy the bike, then the I told ya so's afterward. Alas, I'm still on my bike and have put 40k miles on in two years. Just got the forks done and next is the rear shock, then here comes the track.

Sactown - it's your life, respect it and respect the machine, have fun and do what you feel is best for you.

I gotta agree with Sky, it's not the bike, it's the rider. I've crashed many a small bike, but none of my liter bikes (except for the Stelvio but that was off-road in single track)...as small as 350's and early '80's 550's. The most important thing is setting up for a corner correctly and one's brain being in the moment. Sac, go ride the T, you're world will change. :)

Track Day

My first track day is at Thunder Hill in Willows, CA on 5/25/15, called "Try The Track." A six hour course for newbies to see if they want to try Track Day training.

Can't Wait.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Right on, tipping my hat to you for making a smart decision. Be sure all your gear is complete, close to new tires and some blue painters tape for your head lights. Pay attention in the pre track meeting and you will be fine.
If I wasn't going to be in Utah on my Wing that week I wouldride up to watch you on the track, Thunderhill is a blast!!!!!!
Bring a camera too, we want to see pictures.

My first track day is at Thunder Hill in Willows, CA on 5/25/15, called "Try The Track." A six hour course for newbies to see if they want to try Track Day training.

Can't Wait.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Awesome! You are going to have a great time

Back