Bike choking/hesitating when full throttling after air filter change

Gen 2 FZ1N with nearly 7K on the clock

Mods on the bike
-Beowulf carbon slip on exhaust
-Exup eliminator
-DNA air filter
-Stock map (AFAIK) no fuel controllers

So I changed my air filter to a DNA one recently and noticed if I apply too much throttle abruptly for example pulling away fairly quickly or full throttling while rolling the engine sort of chokes (it makes a distinct sound/feeling almost as if it wants to stall) however I did notice increase in mid range power but it's a balancing act. This certainly didn't happen on the stock filter but I imagine it's because it's a lot more restrictive, My old Honda Hornet had the same issue when I switched to a K&N but it wasn't as bad. I installed it very carefully checking the seal and everything is spot on.

Does anyone know what could be going on to cause this? Am I damaging the engine?

Thanks in advanced

You may have a kinked fuel line which is very common once the tank has been lifted. You can replace it with 18" of fuel hose, do a search on here to see how.

Ah thanks for the tip I'll have a look this weekend. The bike idles fine if that helps

The bike will probably idle just fine with the kinked fuel line. It's when you are applying throttle and the bike needs more fuel that it will stutter. I can bet that Ballmead is spot on as to what's wrong. Let us know what happens.

Just an update the fuel line looked like it was in the correct position (routed as intended), when lowering the tank it looks slightly like it's flattened but not fully kinked I couldn't get it to sit any other way I have the exup eliminator installed too so there's a little more room in that area.

I put the stock filter back in and the issue has vanished, My guess is the bike was running too lean and having an aftermarket piped as well probably doesn't help. Most likely needs a remap

There were some issues with K&N air filters not letting the box cover close properly, Did you notice the box lid not closing flush all the way round with the DNA air filter? If so, you could be sucking excess air around the filter.

I did get that with the K&N before so I swapped it for a DNA but the box retained some of the warp (only a little) I used electrical tape to seal it off. It could be simply because the filter is so much more breathable compared to OEM my Hornet did the same thing after a K&N swap.

That being said my little Suzuki 250 hasn't had any issues with a DNA filter.

Just wanted to update this, I refitted the filter and made sure the hose wasn't kinked and the problem seems to have gone so yeah I'm going to assume it was a kinked line.

Thanks guys!

For peace of mind I would be doing the fuel line mod. You basically replace the stock hose with 18" of 8mm fuel line

Sent from my HTC_X9u using Tapatalk

I have a similar problem, thank you for your comments, I think I understand what's going on here and can save money on repairs. By the way, when I was looking for new parts on Amazon, I saw an ad for an ozone generator for the car. In my opinion, this is a very good device, especially if we remember that there is a pandemic now. Damage Control of Orlando has more information about this. Do you think it's worth buying? If you have any experience using an ozone generator, please share it. I will be waiting for your comments.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any charging issues. For some unknown reason I'm only getting a max of 13.2vdc to the battery at 5k rpm. Wires look good. Replaced rotor, regulator and new battery with no help. Anybody had this happen???

Back