Best price on pr3?

Thanks all for the info. Heres a little tire history on me.

This will be my 3rd set of PR's. My 07 has just cracked 45K.

1st- PR3 front & PR2 rear. With 80% commuting they lasted over 16K. I was really happy with that set, especially in the commute rush in the San Francisco winter. The front was real picky about pressure.

2nd- this set I went with all PR2's. Im at 14.5K on this set.

Life changes for me & my family suggest that they may be more winter commuting in my furture, which is why Im leaning towards the 3.

Last edited:
Try Chaparral on eBay, I have found them to be very competitive. I get all my tires from them typically

I ordered my PR3 from them at $311 shipped in June

Dustin, thanks for the headsup. But as I live in CA, they will have to add sales tax.

Terdog, I can't praise the 3 enough. In wet weather, there is no better tire. It's excellent in all temperatures and all conditions. My front is at about 14,000 miles now but it's seen better days at this point. The centre does have a fair amount of tread depth but the start of the soft compound portion is now worn to the wear bar. There's a defined 'hump' now between the two compounds. It's also very scalloped.

I've got a new set ready to go on and I can't wait to have a tire with a smooth curve again

Dustin, thanks for the headsup. But as I live in CA, they will have to add sales tax.

Ahh, yes! I forgot about that! Those wacky state laws :)

Last edited:
What pressure have you settled on for the front?

Most of the 14,000 miles I ran stock pressures. 36 front, 42 rear. I do put a bit more when I'm loaded for touring.

Any suggestions?

Another caveat: I have upgraded forks recently and I don't know what effect this will have on the front tire scalloping. I imagine it should make a difference. I opted to swap the forks before changing tires so I could have a direct comparison before & after. I'll have fresh tires now on upgraded suspenders front & rear

When I had the PR3 front, I experienced the scalloping towards the end, maybe the last 5K. I too was running 36, but started bumping it up to 40, then 38. I settled on 39. I know-39?

DieselFZ1, I hear ya. Ive done that before with a BT16. Quicker side to side transitions. I guess that you are running a 180 now? Do you have the re-flash? Honestly, with the re-flash I dont know if Id want less meat. Its that good.

terdog-albums-pics-picture3822-fz-cell-004-11.jpg

terdog-albums-pics-picture3821-fz-cell-002-14.jpg

Last edited:
I used to run Pilot power 2CT in the front and PR2 in the back...worked perfectly. Now that the PR3 has been out for a while. I got my hand on one for the rear. I have 2CT in the front and PR3 on rear wheel.
I know I know...many say I should not mix 2 types of tires. But believe me having a 2CT in the front makes a huge difference. When I run this combination front and rear both wear pretty much at the same rate...which helps too :)

Ive mixed tires before with no Ill affects.

So far, MottoMummy has the best deal. I need to pull the trigger soon, as the last 500 miles are showing REAL accelerated wear due to IVANs re-flash.

Dam you IVAN!

Ok, it may not make sense to you, but it makes sense to me. I need the mileage right now and am willing to give up the confidence of greater lean angles and higher speeds. I will slow down a little with the ST tire. I will check out those other tires in the future. I'm putting in close to 2,000 miles a month, so I'm going through tires rather quick anyway. I want to see if what people said about the PR3 having better stick is true. I want to know so I can file away the experience in my mind. Also can't find any T30's available on the net right now anyway.

Since you want a SP tire and you don't really experinece any wet weather conditions a better tire for you would be the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II. It's cheaper and slightly better in the dry than the PR3...

That's what I'm running on my FZ1, but honestly with the limited mileage I've put on them I can't give an opinion of mileage expectancy and previously I was running the OEM PR tires on there so these are definitely an improvement for me.

Back