BDazzler's 2014 trips

I have to say I was very happy with the Michelin Pilot Power 3's I had put on before the trip. They never had any hint of slip at all. I have had the Pilot Road 3 rear 'walk' on me a bit coming out of a corner hard. It never scared me, but it wasn't the best feeling to have. The PP3's were always very planted and seemed to heat up fast and handle the heat well. I never noticed the ridge between compounds some have talked about, but I could see a coloration difference between the harder and softer compounds.

The PP3's worked well in the wet we encountered as well. There were a few times with standing water on the road and many places where the road was wet in the shade. It didn't seem to matter too much. The PP3 is a slick on the outter side of the tire to give better lean traction in the dry. It has 3 marks for measuring chicken strips. I don't give that too much credit, but I'd be less than truthful if I said I didn't look at them. :flash: I could only get to the first chicken mark. I know the bike will lean more, especially with these tires, but my brain won't allow it. I need more practice. I'll try to add a picture of the tires soon, but it's time for me to sleep and then work.

The K&N air filter has been great. No fitment issues or problems. I will get some HH brake pads and braided lines soon. The front brake worked great for my riding. I could have used a bit more bite, but I was happy. I did forget to tighten up the front compression and rebound for the dragon, but fixed it in GA.

My chain was very loose when I had my new tires put on. The chain was adjusted to proper tension before the trip, but is now super loose again after getting back. I'm sure it's time for a new chain and sprockets. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of going with a gold or blue chain for the bling, but if the colored chains are lower quality or much more expensive, I'd just go with a standard chain.

I thought you rode well when we did Lake Bloomington, although it's no Tail of the Dragon but it's a good practice area.

It sounds like you had some real adventures on your trip. I'm sort of bummed that my trip fell through but then there's always next year.

If it helps, I got drenched riding back from Indy after the MotoGP. The gear worked except I forgot that the outer pockets on the jacket are mesh and I had my wallet in there :(.

I'm sad we haven't been able to meet up this year. I guess there is still some time left before the weather kills the riding season. I'm sorry your trip to the Dragon got cancelled too. I'd go back!
Sorry about your wallet. I've forgotten about outer pockets too. Luckily I put my phone and wallet in ziploc bags when they were in my pockets.

If a properly adjusted chain is loosening up in a short time, it may be ready for replacement. Another good indicator is the 'pull test' where you pull on the chain link at the back of the sprocket. A healthy chain shouldn't pull off the sprocket much, if at all. You'll know it when you see it.

Sproket..png

I've used several brands of chains over the years and find DID to be the best quality.

My current DID chain on the VFR has 15,000 miles on it from myself alone and it was on the bike when I bought it. I'd hazard a guess that it's got 20,000 miles on it now and I have had to adjust it twice so far. I can imagine I will get another 10,000 from it

Last edited:
We should try to connect again. Vagabond got his FJR, I saw it when we were in INdy and afterward at his place when we swapped a throttle lock I had for an axle slider he had for the FZ1.

I still would like to hit Brown County but this month I only have this weekend available.

Oh, the wallet and its contents dried with no issue.

OK, I'm uploading one of my Dragon runs totally unedited. Sorry, but I felt luck to find time to even upload it raw. I don't have any good video editing software at the moment. I had a HDD fail, so I just started over with a new drive. I hope you enjoy it. At the time of this posting, the video had 117 minutes left to upload. It was recorded with a GoPro Hero 2 with the suction cup mount on the tank in 720p at 60 fps. I'm not sure how the uploaded YouTube video will turn out.

Here is the link... [video=youtube_share;1RbteHLnQI4]http://youtu.be/1RbteHLnQI4[/video]

Post edited and video embedded. I hope you enjoy it. I KNOW I did... :flash: :Rockon:

Here's a still pic from the GoPro Hero 2

GOPR0022.jpg

Last edited:
Back