Bay de Verde Peninsula (Newfoundland)

GraniteGray

I guess there are lots of different kinds of perfect days on a bike, but for me today it was 400+ kms of coastal road carving aboard my Yamaha FZ1, with mild temperatures, not a cloud in the sky, and the coastal roads virtually to myself (since it was a Wednesday). I took a solo ride around the Bay de Verde Peninsula, by riding up the Conception Bay North side, to Old Perlican, and then back down the Trinity Bay side to reconnect with the Trans Canada Highway and back home to The City of St. John's.

Thanks for the use of your place in New Melbourne, as a pit-stop, Craig!

My route map...
BayDeVerdePeninsulaMap.gif

A few photos from my most excellent day off...

A triple-decker waterfall along the shore of Conception Bay North...
CoastalRideMay19th01.jpg

My 'office' for the day...
GeoffFZ1May2010.jpg

The 'Mouse Hole' sea arch, also on the Conception Bay North side of the peninsula...
CoastalRideMay19th02.jpg

Near Kingston...
CoastalRideMay19th03.jpg

Northern Bay Sands beach...
CoastalRideMay19th04.jpg

New Melbourne...
CoastalRideMay19th05.jpg

Hants Harbour, Trinity Bay...
CoastalRideMay19th06.jpg

Angelina's close-up...
FZ1NewMelbourne.jpg

Typical hospitality of the locals (a.k.a. my buddy Craig)...;)...
CoastalRideMay19th07.jpg

Last edited:
Tourism

Your pictures are a great incentive for people to come see the beautiful part of Canada that you live in. Although I have traveled as far east as Moncton, I was always out there for work (Driving truck) and never had the chance to see the coastline. Traveling out to the East coast and across to Newfoundland (by bike) is a definate must in the next couple of years.

Keep the great pictures coming.

I tried to make the best of the fine weather on Sunday, by riding every two-wheeled vehicle I own, while the sun was shining. I started off with a short scoot on my dirtbike, then a pedal down to Logy Bay on my mountain bike, but by far the most enjoyable part of the day was a run along the coast with Renee, on my FZ1.

Here's a few snaps from my very enjoyable coastal ride with my better half...

ReneeGeoffFZ102.jpg

ReneeFZ12010.jpg

ReneeGeoffFZ1.jpg

Too funny

Did that very same ride on the very same bike (well almost, mine's an 07) last Saturday. Your pictures are stunning and for the people that have never visited here, every inch of coastline on the route offers much of the same stunning scenery. Awesome. Thanks for posting the pics.

L

Wow, that looks great. I really enjoyed the pics.

I hope to do a trip up there someday. I often consider doing Nova Scotia. It's closer to NJ than Newfoundland.

So the reference to Saint Johns is Newfy John and not NB?

The scenery is excellent but I am somewhat puzzled by the name of the area as it seems to be polyglot English/Spanish and I expected some Francais in there.

Green Bay would be English and Bahia Verde would be Spanish and I expected French would be Baie de Vert(e) or Baie Vert(e).

Can you explain?

By the way, excellent pics.

Stunning pictures. I can only imagine the beauty in person from the inside of my RF-1100. I plan to take some scenic travels via FZ1 this year, but until global warming kicks in, IL doesn't have a very good ocean view. I'll have to settle for winding, wooded roads.

Thanks for the pictures. I hope you are able to take many more trips this year (and share more beautiful pictures). Does you wife have her own bike, or does she adorn your pillion seat? I didn't see a second bike, but you had your trunk on in the earlier pictures. I assume the pictures with the wife were from a different trip?

Edit: : oops: I didn't see the date of the first post. I guess this was a few months before I bought my FZ1. Oh well. That has no affect on the beauty of the pictures.

Last edited:
Nice pictures.if you ever get a chance ride out to the west coast of the island and head up to the northern peninsula towards Rock Harbour, there are some nice roads up there to ride , through the Parks Canada Gros Morne area.
Formerly from Corner Brook, NF.

Back