Battery problems?

B

Buildercher

I have an 06, checked my battery and it reads 12.7v which is good. But when the bike is running it jumps to 14.7v?. Is this unusual or is the battrey over charging and over-heating?. Has anyone replaced or had any strange things happen with their battery?.

That sounds just about perfect with the bike running. At 5000 rpm it should be putting out just over 14 if your charging system is working properly.

I have an 06, checked my battery and it reads 12.7v which is good. But when the bike is running it jumps to 14.7v?. Is this unusual or is the battrey over charging and over-heating?. Has anyone replaced or had any strange things happen with their battery?.

As Lee noted your charging system needs to put out over 14V and yours sounds like it's working perfectly. If the alternator only put out 13V it would not be enough to charge the battery properly.

I was told By a the mechanic that does work on my bike that the voltage should be in the range of 14-15 volts while the bike is running. so you seem to be just fine. Are there reasons as to why you are concerned or just and inquiry?

Cheers guys thanks for the advice. I am still on the original OEM battery and was getting paranoid it might be dying or the charging system was faulty. Thanks

You seem to be in the sweet spot and just fine. Do you use a battery tender on it? Plugged in often?

Yes i have a battery tender, but have only used it a couple of times, with all the horror storys about the OEM batterys i thought i might have to replace it but the battery seems to be fine. Happy days

Yes i have a battery tender, but have only used it a couple of times, with all the horror storys about the OEM batterys i thought i might have to replace it but the battery seems to be fine. Happy days

Has there been any indications that you have a problem with it? You're getting close. Best I've seen is a stretch of 6 yrs for a battery with proper care. That's a damned good lifespan! :Rockon:

Has there been any indications that you have a problem with it? You're getting close. Best I've seen is a stretch of 6 yrs for a battery with proper care. That's a damned good lifespan! :Rockon:

Yeah i guess so, never really thought about like that but 5 yrs is good.

Back