Back to the streets

I swore I would never buy another street bike again. I had a 82 750 Honda Sabre, sweet bike. I lived in NJ in the 80s and rode it around there as well as other places on the east coast. Problem was none of my buddys had money to buy a bike. SO I rode mostly alone..wasnt much fun and I didnt really like riding jersey anyway.

I moved to AZ in the 90s and bought a KLR650. Same thing, had a blast with the much better scenary, but didnt know anyone who rode so I sold the bike.

Got married, had a son, later got into dirt bikes. WHAT A BLAST! Some of the toughest riding and stunning scenary around. I trail ride and race and have some moderate success and sponsors help pay the bills.

I belong to a dirt bike club who have members who street ride and they have been yappin about some killer rides. One I'm familiar with called Devils HWY. I've been on it in a car and drooled at the thought of doing it on a bike or sports car. That along with my dirtriding buddys yappin got me to buy a bike I never heard of 2 weeks ago. 2003 Yammie FZ1, it is show room new with 1100 miles on it. I'm told it's quite a bike.

I need to ready myself for this killer ride in a couple of weeks. I bought new Pilots since the bike has the original tires, street jacket and pants, helmet, and I'm still deciding what color visor to work out here in the AZ sun.

I look forward to learning more about the street and fz1 on this great site. Thanks for having me.

I started on the street and fiddled with dirt and ice back in the early 80's Damned near killed myself on the ice and decided to stick with the street. I'm not saying that there are no hazzards on the street but the terrain in the dirt can be far more difficult to traverse than a paved road. You will get a lot better in a couple weeks but you will have to take a lot more time than that to get totally proficient. Just be patient and take the time to figure the bike and it's capabilities out. You're going to be very happy you got an FZ1. And... the next time someone tells you, or you tell yourself you need a dirt bike to see the good scenery, try doing a 6000 mile scoot across the country on a dirt bike in a couple weeks. Have fun.

I started on the street and fiddled with dirt and ice back in the early 80's Damned near killed myself on the ice and decided to stick with the street. I'm not saying that there are no hazzards on the street but the terrain in the dirt can be far more difficult to traverse than a paved road. You will get a lot better in a couple weeks but you will have to take a lot more time than that to get totally proficient. Just be patient and take the time to figure the bike and it's capabilities out. You're going to be very happy you got an FZ1. And... the next time someone tells you, or you tell yourself you need a dirt bike to see the good scenery, try doing a 6000 mile scoot across the country on a dirt bike in a couple weeks. Have fun.

Yeah the difficulty of the dirt is what draws me to it. :) Keeps my 51 year old body in shape too. It's not high speed stuff it's more technical so when you fall it's not quite as bad.

While we have no 6k mile dirtbike trip planned accross the country we have tagged our 4 strokes for cross state journeys to the grand canyon, NM, etc. We also have dreams of riding almost all dirt from AZ border of MX to Canada..might have to retire to get that one accomphished!! The great thing about the dirt is your in places almost NOBODY goes.

Yeah I plan to take it slow on the FZ, I also have a CR500 (60hp on a 220lb bike) so I know about throttle control:) Some quick rides on the FZ tells me it seems to handle pretty good and the power is something you could NEVER tire of. How many of you guys lost your license on these things... :teeter:

While I'd love to knee drag up and down this:

333690645.jpg

I'll be taking it easy and enjoying..although some of the guys going on this ride seem to be hard core...I wont be one of them:)

Yeah the difficulty of the dirt is what draws me to it. :) Keeps my 51 year old body in shape too. It's not high speed stuff it's more technical so when you fall it's not quite as bad.

While we have no 6k mile dirtbike trip planned accross the country we have tagged our 4 strokes for cross state journeys to the grand canyon, NM, etc. We also have dreams of riding almost all dirt from AZ border of MX to Canada..might have to retire to get that one accomphished!! The great thing about the dirt is your in places almost NOBODY goes.

Yeah I plan to take it slow on the FZ, I also have a CR500 (60hp on a 220lb bike) so I know about throttle control:) Some quick rides on the FZ tells me it seems to handle pretty good and the power is something you could NEVER tire of. How many of you guys lost your license on these things... :teeter:

While I'd love to knee drag up and down this:

333690645.jpg

I'll be taking it easy and enjoying..although some of the guys going on this ride seem to be hard core...I wont be one of them:)

Thats a great attitude Twist. Go at your own pace and don't be a "follower". It will only get you jammed up! Thats some sick roads you got there! God Bless You, your very lucky.

Back