Asking the freebie genie for a Gen II shock

Hey guys. I'm looking for a Gen II Shock. My bike is an FZ8 and I'm looking to see if I can get the FZ1 shock to take the wallowing out of the rear suspension.

- Avro

The FZ1 shock might be slightly better, but it not going to fix the wallowing. It also does not have enough compression damping. You would be better off with the R1 shock and adapter.

I'm sure the R1shock is a step up, but the FZ1 shock is also an upgrade to the FZ8 stock setup. I know you guys go from FZ1 stock to R1... I like to mess around and would like to see how much difference between FZ8 and FZ1 rear suspensions there really is. So I was thinking there might be a kind & benevolent FZ1 owner who could throw me their stock part they might have laying around for me to try. (I'd pay for shipping of course)

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n (SOLD)

I'm sure the R1shock is a step up, but the FZ1 shock is also an upgrade to the FZ8 stock setup. I know you guys go from FZ1 stock to R1... I like to mess around and would like to see how much difference between FZ8 and FZ1 rear suspensions there really is. So I was thinking there might be a kind & benevolent FZ1 owner who could throw me their stock part they might have laying around for me to try. (I'd pay for shipping of course)

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8

I am just trying to save you from yourself. If I were to grade the shocks by a number 1-10, the FZ8 shock is a 1 and the FZ1 shock is a 2 whereas my 8983Penske is an 8. So while the FZ1 shock is better than the FZ8 shock, it is still an under-damped POS. For the money, you really can't beat the R1 shock with the adapter and the R1 shock can be serviced and revalved should you desire.

I am just trying to save you from yourself. If I were to grade the shocks by a number 1-10, the FZ8 shock is a 1 and the FZ1 shock is a 2 whereas my 8983Penske is an 8. So while the FZ1 shock is better than the FZ8 shock, it is still an under-damped POS. For the money, you really can't beat the R1 shock with the adapter and the R1 shock can be serviced and revalved should you desire.

Thanks Loosenut. Ok I'll be honest. I don't have the cash. I would absolutely prefer to go Penske or Olins but alas, it's not in the cards for me. I'm just a po' boy.

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8

Thanks Loosenut. Ok I'll be honest. I don't have the cash. I would absolutely prefer to go Penske or Olins but alas, it's not in the cards for me. I'm just a po' boy.

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8

I understand! I am a lucky man. My suspension sponsor modified my original FZ1 shock. It worked very well with the added compression damping. I got lucky and found a Penske on Craig's list for $250 and snagged it. My sponsor valved and resprung it for my needs. I sold the modded FZ1 shock on this forum to Nighttrain.

Good luck!

It seems like the best budget upgrade is the R1 shock and adapter. Those R1 shocks are cheap on eBay or Craigslist. If you can't afford that, I'd just forget upgrades completely and save your money for the bike's consumables

This is good. Ill go look for an r1 shock from eBay.

I see its 11mm difference in length. Should I need an adapter or is it a direct fit?

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8

Last edited:
This is good. Ill go look for an r1 shock from eBay.

I see its 11mm difference in length. Should I need an adapter or is it a direct fit?

- Avro

2011 Yamaha FZ8

You will need the adapter from satan666

This upgrade is probably the best bang for your buck of any available.

Just so you know. You might have to relocate the voltage regulator on the FZ8 from what I read somewhere, but it should be easy to do as it just bolts on. If that is the case and you need help, there is plenty available here on the forum.

search craigslist and ebay and watch for totaled bike threads and see who will be parting stuff out. stock shocks aren't worth much so you should be able to find one for fairly cheap. last month i sold mine for $50

eBay is awesome for that kind of stuff. I found a GSX-R 1000 shock for my SV650 for $20. Best $20 mod ever.

There's lots of litre bikes in ditches just waiting for you to pluck their shocks off ;)

Good luck finding one for free. I sold mine for $150 on the FZ8 forum. It was in pristine condition and the fella I sold it too loved it. It's a huge improvement over the stock FZ8 pogo stick.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Free would be great but like ballmead, it has value.... I sold mine for $120 on the FZ8 forum. ;)

Keep searching though because some members have let them go for around $50 in the past. GL!

I traded mine for a set of bars. I would seriously consider the R1 shock though, it has made my bike more comfortable and handle better which is a great result. That is what I have with Satans V4 adapter. Not sure if any modification is need to make this fit an FZ8 as most of the comments I have seen don't mention the V4 adapter on FZ8 sites. Go onto the FZ1OA site and contact Satan. My whole setup all from the US was under $200 including shipping to Australia so you could at least half that.

Back