Applying rim tape

Had a look about to apply rim tape. Just wondering why nobody uses soap water when applying? It's pretty common practice with most sticker/decals.

Hi Blanchy,

Is simple , get the wheel , wipe it clean and stick it on.

It is comon practice with larger decals where position needs to be tweaked a bit before it is permanently adhered. In many cases the rim tapes come with an applicator that place the tape a t a perfect distance from the edge of the rim leaving no need to reposition. If you are just eyeballing it soapy wter might be a good idea. Though the tape is so thin I would be afraid it would move when you start to squeegie it.

No need for soapy water. Just clean the rim well, wipe it down with alcohol and start applying the tape. It's easy to go back a few inches and pull it off and reapply it if it is not quite right. Have applied many rim tapes, never had a problem getting them on perfectly.

I'm right handed, found the easiest way is to start at the 9 o clock position and work anti-clockwise towards 3 o clock. This is using the curved rim tape strips on a sheet where you need to use about four of them to do each side of each wheel.

Hold tape in position with left hand, move about 2 inches right with right hand, position, then smooth over with pressure once happy to remove any trapped air, repeat repeat

Found the hardest part to do is the left hand side of the back wheel where its hard to get at the wheel rim because of the chain & swingarm & angle of bike on the side stand.

If you had the bike on a paddock stand rather than side stand that part would be much easier. Also recommend doing it outdoors on a bright day, you might make little mistakes that look ok in artificial light but show up in daylight.

I also find it helps to stick the right end of the tape onto the wheel somewhere to stop it flapping about and potentially picking up dirt while I'm applying.

Lucky my new bike has painted rims, so no more taping for me :)

Last edited:
Guys, it's not that hard to apply rim tape. It's not a science project, take your time and you can do it without soap/wather, tools, jigs and other gimmicks.

Yes it is easy. I just ended up going a couple of inches at a time and spotted it, checked the line and then smoothed to that point. If its not right, its easy to pull back up off the spot and realign.

This was some time ago.

IMG_0029.jpg

I agree, no need to spray soap with water, all you need to do is to make sure that the surface of the wheel is cleaned and prepped. In my idea it would be easier to install the sticker if the wheel is dismounted from the bike so that you can make sure that installed it evenly and perfectly.

and just do it after you swap tires so you have the wheels off. Then its really easy. Too much of a pain in the ass on the bike.

I have installed them both with the wheels on and off the bike and will never do it with the wheels on again. To me it's worth it to just take the wheels off to install them even if you're not replacing the tires.

I dont know if it was the crappy CG stuff I got or what. But the tape started cracking and I eventualy had to peel it off on 1 side. What a pain!

terdog-albums-pics-picture3786-cell-pics-024.jpg

I dont know if it was the crappy CG stuff I got or what. But the tape started cracking and I eventualy had to peel it off on 1 side. What a pain!

terdog-albums-pics-picture3786-cell-pics-024.jpg

Yea, looks like that vinyl tape probably wasn't meant for outdoors. I've had rim tape on a couple of my bikes for 2-3 years now and have had no such issues.

It only happened on 1 side of 1 wheel. It was my 1st time too. After having zero issues with the other 3 sides, I wonder if it cracked because I was laying in on tightly. I might have put it on such that it stretched it causeing it to crack.

The other 3 sides are doin good.

I think that the rim stripes that are pre-cut into 4 1/4's would be a good candidate for the soapy water treatment.

Too much of a pain in the ass on the bike.

I agree.

Back