APE Pro tensioner noise

Hello, I had an APE Pro tensioner installed, because the automatic tensioner would make noise on startup and then go away/ reduce. I replaced the chain at the same time. The shop that did it says that it's tensioned correctly, but the new manual tensioner seems to make a rattling noise. Is a certain amount of noise normal? I kind of expected it to be quiet...

I don't have any experience with a manual tensioner but replaced the auto one on my F4i twice. No noise either time and can't imagine why there would be noise other than it's simply not putting enough tension on the chain. I'd be inclined to tighten by small degrees until the rattling is no longer heard. And I'd be leery of a shop that says it is tensioned correctly...

Hello, I had an APE Pro tensioner installed, because the automatic tensioner would make noise on startup and then go away/ reduce. I replaced the chain at the same time. The shop that did it says that it's tensioned correctly, but the new manual tensioner seems to make a rattling noise. Is a certain amount of noise normal? I kind of expected it to be quiet...
I tried to install one on my 06 FZ1 and I couldn't get it to fit right. Hitting the clutch cable bracket on the clutch cover.
The stock one runs off the oil pressure of the motor and you have to block off the oil passage.
So I ended up putting my stock one back on.

How old is the new tensioner? Too much tension is bad, too.. The new chain will bed in and the manual tensioner will require adjustment.

I never understood the obsession people have with the OEM tensioner being a little loose until the oil pressure builds.. they are like that from new, so it's part of the design and the Japanese engineers thought it better to have the system self-adjusting.

How old is the new tensioner? Too much tension is bad, too.. The new chain will bed in and the manual tensioner will require adjustment.

I never understood the obsession people have with the OEM tensioner being a little loose until the oil pressure builds.. they are like that from new, so it's part of the design and the Japanese engineers thought it better to have the system self-adjusting.

My cam chain was shot. The original tensioner was all the way out.

About 60,000. I'll have to figure it out at some point. I replaced the cluster at one point, then for some reason when I replaced the ECU, The odometer displays the mileage stored in it, which was lower than the second cluster had shown. Actually now that I think about it, it probably has closer to 75K miles.

Back