Any experience with the Motodynamic sequential LED Tail Light?

I was looking at eBay and ran across this integrated tail light from motodynamic.com. I love the look of the integrated tail lights and was thinking about adding this to my list of possible changes. Does anyone have experience with these?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8_zvY54CNc"]Motodynamic Sequential Tail Lights[/ame]

That looks good. I have the integrated Clear Alternative's one and it has been working great for years. It has a red lens so when it's off it looks like the stock tail light.

Like!

Want! :wilynily:

I just... couldn't... take it... any more!!! I just purchased one of these bad boys! I had an integrated tail on my '01, and they look so sexy!

Put LED ones on the new kid back in September, and I love the clean look so much better. I'm sure I'll find a use for the LED's....maybe on the wife's SV.

I will throw a pic on here when I get it and install it.

Last edited:
That looks good. I have the integrated Clear Alternative's one and it has been working great for years. It has a red lens so when it's off it looks like the stock tail light.

me too have the CAlternative red tailight and looks fantastic....almost like oem....tell me smthing.....how have u connect the alarm&indicators?with the resistor that already have the box or with an extra led flasher?

I just... couldn't... take it... any more!!! I just purchased one of these bad boys!
I will throw a pic on here when I get it and install it.

That's awesome. Congrats!

I'm anxious to hear how the installation goes. I'm still collecting the "necessities" for my FZ, but eventually I think I'll probably get this tail light.

me too have the CAlternative red tailight and looks fantastic....almost like oem....tell me smthing.....how have u connect the alarm&indicators?with the resistor that already have the box or with an extra led flasher?

I have the indicators built into the taillight connected in addition to the stock rear turn signals. I'm using the stock flasher relay. If you're using this light and LED indicators in the front then just switch out your flasher to one designed to work with LEDs. They are very affordable and eliminate the need for resistors:

attachment.php

I have the indicators built into the taillight connected in addition to the stock rear turn signals. I'm using the stock flasher relay. If you're using this light and LED indicators in the front then just switch out your flasher to one designed to work with LEDs. They are very affordable and eliminate the need for resistors:

so u haven't connect the resistors that already the tailight has in the box?
if u don't use the resistors how the led indicators on the tail light works normally?

so u haven't connect the resistors that already the tailight has in the box?
if u don't use the resistors how the led indicators on the tail light works normally?

When I bought the bike it already had that tail light installed and I don't see any resistors anywhere on the wiring. Remember I also have the stock turn signals hooked up so the LED turn signals are not an issue for me.

If you are just using the LED turn signals built into the tail light then just replace your flasher with one designed for LEDs like the one I referenced above and they'll blink at the correct rate.

They are awesome! Sadly in the UK there are regulations to pass an MOT and there is a minimum space between indicator lights.

Can't remember the exact spacing but these tail lights fail :(

I wouldn't say the lights fail...your regs fail!

I got this light on Friday last week, and I was able to have a few hours to play around finally. Install was very straight forward. No soldering or splicing of wires, and it looks fantastic! I will have to take a vid of it and post it. Looks much like the video from the website. I just dig the sequential and the ability to discern the the intended direction. :tup:

Last edited:
The sequential feature is pretty cool, but IMHO the standard flashing makes it easier to see the turn signal since all LEDs are lit at once.

And the light from Clear Alternatives is red...and the LED's are all red, right? I wasn't all that impressed with the all red look for my bike. But then...you have a red bike, so the white tail light would look a little different when it isn't powered. My past experience with CA wasn't all that impressive anyway. They don't utilize the brightest equipment available...not my bike, but a good example of their less than outstanding performance. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP1FtHqPdi0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP1FtHqPdi0[/ame]

But, in the end, as long as the big bad minivan moms and all the other "not paying attention" mofo's are seeing us, that is what matters. Well, that and that we are happy with how it looks. :shine:

Last edited:
And the light from Clear Alternatives is red...and the LED's are all red, right? I wasn't all that impressed with the all red look for my bike. But then...you have a red bike, so the white tail light would look a little different when it isn't powered. My past experience with CA wasn't all that impressive anyway. They don't utilize the brightest equipment available...not my bike, but a good example of their less than outstanding performance. Custom LED Integrated Tail Lights vs. Clear Alternatives Tail Light - YouTube

But, in the end, as long as the big bad minivan moms and all the other "not paying attention" mofo's are seeing us, that is what matters. Well, that and that we are happy with how it looks. :shine:

man,you are wrong!!!very wrong!!!
there's a mistake on the video!!!
the name of the tailights are wrong!!!
the one that doesn't flashes not at all is the sequent and the other that flashes more bright and very quikly(probably because he hasn't put a relay flasher) is the clear alternative......
i have a clear alter tailight in red colour and i can be sure 1000% that is the best brightest and best looking tailight u can put on your bike!!!

And the light from Clear Alternatives is red...and the LED's are all red, right? I wasn't all that impressed with the all red look for my bike. But then...you have a red bike, so the white tail light would look a little different when it isn't powered.

Yea, my CA light looks stock when it's off and I do like the fact that it's red. And to your question, no the taillight and brake light LEDs are red, but the turn signal ones are yellow.

Yea, my CA light looks stock when it's off and I do like the fact that it's red. And to your question, no the taillight and brake light LEDs are red, but the turn signal ones are yellow.

Thanks. I am certainly not turned off by the stock look, I personally wasn't impressed. Appreciate your side of the looking glass.

now on the other hand...

man,you are wrong!!!very wrong!!!
there's a mistake on the video!!!
the name of the tailights are wrong!!!
the one that doesn't flashes not at all is the sequent and the other that flashes more bright and very quikly(probably because he hasn't put a relay flasher) is the clear alternative......
i have a clear alter tailight in red colour and i can be sure 1000% that is the best brightest and best looking tailight u can put on your bike!!!

So I am wrong for re-posting a video from an individual who states on that link that he sold both of these brands at the same time? I am the re-poster, not the originator.
Secondly, like I stated previously, I had a CA tail on my '01, so I am also speaking from personal experience. I sent my shitty CA tail to custom LED (Jon is the MAN there...btw!) and had him rebuild it - it had better overall visibility AND higher lumen output. There are different types of LED's on the market. Some can have a high lumen number, but lack of directional viewing. Meaning that they are bright, but only if you are in the narrow viewing angle to see them, which makes the brightness (lumen output) relatively pointless.
The customled engineer (Jon) also took the circuit from the CA light and rebuilt it to optimize the current draw and turn it into light output instead of wasted energy.
Also - the lack of a relay has nothing to do with brightness, it only slows down the flash rate.

So, if you have had personal experience with more than just the one brand, then place your opinion in the heap. I stripped that CA off my old one due to it's overall lack of light output...DUE TO MY EXPERIENCE with other brands. I have had a CA light, 2 custom led (one from my original FZ1, and on my '06 R6), and now this new one from motodynamic. 3 different brands on my personal bikes. Anyone who switches from the original incandescent light to an LED will see a vast improvement, but that doesn't make it the best. I would put the CA at the low end of the scale in comparison, due to LACK OF BRIGHTNESS. As of right now, I am pretty impressed with the light from motodynamic due to it's brightness, use of new technology, and ease of install.

Back