Another Newbie Suspension question.

Ok guys,this is my first post on this forum so stay with me.I hope my questions are not to dumb for you guys. :)

I'd say I am clueless about all this suspension stuff.I ride a bike for many years but i never learned how this stuff really works.I guess i didn't push the bike close to its limits and thats why i never felt the need to play with the suspension. I just bought a new FZ1 last summer.I love this bike,and i plan to keep for years to come.Even though i've ridden this bike less then a 1k mi last summer, i felt that the rear end is not stable enough and i don't feel confident into turns.I did my first track day with this bike last summer.It was really fun and I will go back this summer,but i think i really need to do something on my rear suspension ahead of that.
I read so much about the Fz1 suspension in this forum,that i got lost!I get the idea in general, that my best and less expensive options are either R1 rear shock with Satan Adapter or Penske with spring for my weight.

So here is some info that i thought would help you answer my questions more accurately. I am 5'9, 215lb without gear on.
My bike is 2012 FZ1.I ride mostly alone and on the streets and highway.Average speed on highway 75-100mph. Track days 1-3 per year.
My question is what model Penske would work for my bike?Are they the same length and are they ready to install,or need some extra adapters or hardware?..like i said i am clueless and I am just getting into all this suspension talk.
Are all springs the same length just a different weight rate?
If i get a used R1shock should i buy the spring separate so i can chose it being the right rate for my weight?
How do I calculate my spring weight rate?
Do you guys think that if i "fix" the rear suspension problems with one of this options, the stock front suspension will be sufficient enough the way it is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Racetech web site will give you proper rates for your weight and usage. Front suspension is pretty good. If you are not the cheap the stock shock with the right spring will take you a long way.

Racetech web site will give you proper rates for your weight and usage. Front suspension is pretty good. If you are not the cheap the stock shock with the right spring will take you a long way.

Did you mean the stock rear shock with the right spring?I read that the stock rear shock is not good enough even if you switch to a spring with the right weight rate.

Last edited:
Well on the track you do not need to upgrade the suspension at least not the first couple of track days.

On the usually not very good back roads the rear shock likes to trample. I still rode it for 36k miles and got very well used to the feeling without any problems. Now I upgraded to a R1 shock with adapter and the ride is much smoother, especially when accelerating out of turns. I think that's the way to go, because it is very cheap (<150$) and improves the suspension significantly.

The right spring is not that easy to calculate for me a 185 lb 6'2" rider the standard spring of the 08 R1 is excellent. However since the geometry and the weight distribution of the R1 and Fz1 are very different you have to find the right spring rate your self and cannot just take any from an R1 rider with the same weight. I think you might need a slightly harder spring compared to the 08 R1 one.

The right spring is not that easy to calculate for me a 185 lb 6'2" rider the standard spring of the 08 R1 is excellent. However since the geometry and the weight distribution of the R1 and Fz1 are very different you have to find the right spring rate your self and cannot just take any from an R1 rider with the same weight. I think you might need a slightly harder spring compared to the 08 R1 one.

Any suggestions or guidance how to select the right spring?

Race Tech Suspension site has a spring rate calculator. A correct rate spring will make a big difference if you are 190 and above or 150 and below. I had a Penske on mine. The biggest difference for me was the ability to raise the ride height. This helped the bike turn and transition quicker. That being said the compression dampening on the stock shock left something to be desired. Hind sight being 20/20 I think I just would have respiring mine. Then again I do like me some bling. If you a lot of touring and load the bike up or do a lot of two up a upgraded shock would really make a difference.

The race tech suspension calculator works with the standard Fz1 set up. In case you go the R1 + adapter route the values will no longer be correct. The 08 R1 shock has a much softer spring compared to my 06 Fz1 but I had no problems adjusting the sack on the R1 shock and did not have to max out preload as I had to do with the Fz1.

In principle one can calculate the conversion due to the changed geometry but do not have the time to do this right now. I think you might be fine with the standard 07-08 R1 shock for solo riding but might want to upgrade in case you ride two up or pack a lot of luggage for a tour.

Lee at Traxxion Dynamics has probably set up more Gen II FZ1 Penske shocks than all other suspension shops combined. Give him a call or send an email.

I've never done business with Traxxion Dynamics or Lee but I hear on the forums that Lee is the man you want to speak with.

Traxxion Dynamics 261 Rope Mill Pkwy, Suite 3, Woodstock, GA 30188 | (770) 592-3823 | [email protected]

I used Traxxion Dynamics for my 919 and they were very helpful and friendly. They laid out all my shock options in a no nonsense way and helped me make a decision. Turnaround time was fast and pricing was good. The repurposed CBR shock I chose was fantastic and the bike was transformed. I can easily recommend going through them for suspension work.

Penske Double Clicker and be happy! Even to street speeds you'll enjoy the smoothness. Night and day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Well I have a chance to buy a fully rebuilt Triple Clicker from a friend of mine,but I don't know the exact model # and i am trying to figure out if this matter at all,or they all can fit. Which Penske model #'s fit directly to the Gen 2? Does anyone here know that?

By far, the most cost effective route is the SATAN's adapter with a R1 shock.

You can look into re-springing and revaling down the road.

Or, if $$$ are no issue, get the Penske. But, if you have never even adjusted your stocker, whats the point? You'll still have to learn how to set up the Penske.

Check out the videos by DAVE MOSS on YOUTUBE.

By far, the most cost effective route is the SATAN's adapter with a R1 shock.

You can look into re-springing and revaling down the road.

Or, if $$$ are no issue, get the Penske. But, if you have never even adjusted your stocker, whats the point? You'll still have to learn how to set up the Penske.

Check out the videos by DAVE MOSS on YOUTUBE.

Well you are right.I will setup my stock suspension first,so i could feel the deference between the stock and the Penske.But the deal is great.I can get this Penske for about $300.That is why I am interested in it,otherwise I'd definitely go for the R1 shock.

There is one thing though that does not make sense to me: everybody says that for heavier riders the FZ1 stock shock is under-sprung and recommend r1 shock,but meanwhile R1 spring is even softer and needs to be changed with stiffer one to accommodate the extra weight.So what is the point of going for the R1 shock when you have to change it's spring also?I don't get it.

Well you are right.I will setup my stock suspension first,so i could feel the deference between the stock and the Penske.But the deal is great.I can get this Penske for about $300.That is why I am interested in it,otherwise I'd definitely go for the R1 shock.

There is one thing though that does not make sense to me: everybody says that for heavier riders the FZ1 stock shock is under-sprung and recommend r1 shock,but meanwhile R1 spring is even softer and needs to be changed with stiffer one to accommodate the extra weight.So what is the point of going for the R1 shock when you have to change it's spring also?I don't get it.

The spring is only part of the puzzle. It's job is to hold the bike up and provide the energy to rebound the suspension after being compressed. The R1 shock has more compression and an adjuster to increase or decrease the amount of compression. Remember, compression damping is the ability of the suspension to resist compressing.

The R1 shock has a compression adjuster allowing you add or remove compression. The spring on the R1 shock can be changed.

Back