Another "Is it just me" post

Is it just me, or do today's weathermen just plain suck! You would think that with today's technology, that they would be able to at least do a "next day" forecast correctly. Here in NY yesterday afternoon: Sunday...Partly sunny, high 84, humidity 87%, chance of late evening showers. This morning when I awoke: Today's forecast....Mostly cloudy, showers likely throughout the day, evening thunderstorms. It's now 7:12am and it looks like it's going to pour any minute. Can the weather be that drastically different in just 10 hours??? Lately you can't plan not one day without getting screwd over. They forecast rain, I leave the bike home and take the car, only to have pleasant sunshine all day. They they sunny, I take the bike and come home from work in a thunderstorm. I throw my hands up! There goes my Sunday morning sprint to the mountains to hammer on the 016's.:wtf:

NOTE to SELF: don't watch the weather and you'll be fine. All last week, wife said it was going to be close to 100 and it only was in the mid/high 80's with t-storms off in the distance. Never rained on me and it was cooler in full gear.

One of the only jobs, that is not political, where you can consistenly share wrong information and clear 6 figures for doing so....

Saddle up and ride, there be daylight a burnin' away....:cowboy:

I know what you mean about these weather forecasters. I was hoping to ride some more today now that I finally got all my mods done. The bike is a "monster" now, but I didn't mess around too much last night. Although I did take it for a little ride last evening into the night. There was just too much traffic everywhere I went to really open it up. Oh well maybe next weekend :(

I know what you mean about these weather forecasters. I was hoping to ride some more today now that I finally got all my mods done. The bike is a \\"monster\\" now, but I didn't mess around too much last night. Although I did take it for a little ride last evening into the night. There was just too much traffic everywhere I went to really open it up. Oh well maybe next weekend :(

I feel for ya Tony. Well, I just want to say it here. Forecast for next Sat and Sun, Pleasantly Sunny both days, 80 to 82 degrees. Now the only problem is that it may change next Friday night!

In the meantime, I guess I'll just sit here and watch the raindrops fall. I have two AMA Superbike Races to watch from last night which I taped. Whoopie Doo!

It's not just you. They suck. And the're getting worse all the time. The good thing is that they've cossed over the 50% mark where they're actually wrong more than 50% of the time. Which means that if I do exactly the oppsite of what they say, like ride my bike when they predict T-Storms, I should be fine most of the time.

I just look at the weather radar report. It covers the whole of Scandinavia. You can follow the rain and rainclouds movement the latest 24 hours. Very reliable and you don't have to watch silly weather reporters.

I just look at the weather radar report. It covers the whole of Scandinavia. You can follow the rain and rainclouds movement the latest 24 hours. Very reliable and you don't have to watch silly weather reporters.

I believe your right Mike. I'm going to have to start taking the weather into my own hands and stop relying on these so called "weathermen". The only problem with the radar report is forecasting two days ahead of time as to make plans to go somewhere. Radar is good if your planning for that same day your watching the report. If it's Wednesday, and you want to make plans for a big weekend trip, then you have no choice but to listen to the knuckleheads and say a prayer. It's pouring out as we type so I guess I'm going to go sand and bondo my rear hugger that came in the mail yesterday and get it ready for paint.

Weather people are more guessers than forecasters and it's pretty much that simple. I travel by bike quite a bit and so far I have found only one area where they are accurate most of the time. That would be the Yuma, Parker, Havasu area of Arizona. About the ony way you are going to get wet is if you dump a bucket of water on your head. Last June I was on my way back from Arizona working towards Michigan and the weather pattern was working from South to North. I was in Missouri just west of St. Louis a couple hundred miles and I had to try and guess which bunch of black clouds would intersect with my eastward movement. At least I knew when I was going to get wet. Any more I just accept the fact that two-wheeling means you'll get wet from time to time. If I manage to stay dry I just thank the lord for my good fortune.

Here's the thing: Weather forecasters-like the rest of the "news" team- want you to keep "tuning in". Ratings, right. So, the more sensational they report the weather, the more you'll tune in; because most people actually like to focus on the bad; as when people slow down to view an accident.

Recently we had a spell of really high temperatures for the Seattle area. Yea, it was abnormal, but the humidity wasn't near what I remember it being in the South and East where I grew up. Yet, listening to the weather reports, you'd have thought it was terrible, dangerous (maybe for some) and everyone must be miserable. I was actually loving it-reminded me of my youth. I met others who loved it as well.

BTW- What many around the country who were following the story may not understand is the low tempts. overnight were still in the 60's ( maybe one night in the low 70's). Last night was typical @ 58. :cheers:

Last edited:
Well isn't this just great. Now it's 4:45pm here in NY, the day is pratically over, I look up and there it is.....BRIGHT SUNSHINE!!! I would have rather had it rain until bedtime. Now it's too late to take the bike out (Sunday afternoon traffic is horrendous over here), so I guess I'll be finishing up the hugger instead.

Glad they were wrong today when I rolled back into NH! :D

In my job, I cannot afford to be wrong at all... The trading floor would have my head on a platter if they were down for more than 60 seconds while the NYSE was open!

Back