Angel ST, or pilot road 2

I have Pilot Road 2ct's which I decided on because the center area is supposed to be 'tougher' to last longer, and softer on the sides, to add more grip than a standard touring tire. It's supposed to be great in wet weather as well. That being said, I understand it's not a racing tire, but for those of us non-racers (street riders, mostly) it's way more than I demand of the tire at this point. (I have not melted them quite yet...) ;) but I have had people comment on my corner speeds with no apparent wear on these tires.

These are the tires the Yamaha dealer and the parts manager/previous owner suggested were best-suited for the bike.

When guys talk about R1 vs FZ1, I think the point is a little moot. The FZ1 can get to a corner super fast, but can't brake or make the turn as fast as the R1, with or without racing tires, so up to the point where you need grip, it is sort of equal (doesn't matter if you call it a sport or a tourer). If you're pushing the FZ1 at track speeds, you need a racing tire. For regular riding instead, you don't really need a racing tire, unless you just like buying more tires more often.

Even if you had an R1 - if you're going cross-country touring, you would want a touring tire. It doesn't matter what you call the bike, it's how you are riding it.

When guys talk about R1 vs FZ1, I think the point is a little moot. The FZ1 can get to a corner super fast, but can't brake or make the turn as fast as the R1, with or without racing tires, so up to the point where you need grip, it is sort of equal (doesn't matter if you call it a sport or a tourer). If you're pushing the FZ1 at track speeds, you need a racing tire. For regular riding instead, you don't really need a racing tire, unless you just like buying more tires more often.

i have to disagree strongly !!! I can out brake, and out corner EVERY R1 i have ever come up against !! and that is on the Road 2's pushing VERY hard. They work for me everytime. Todays tyres are FAR better than MOST riders !!:shoot:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the road 2s and love them, I haven't really thrashed them yet but they are working well for me and they aren't very expensive.

i have to disagree strongly !!! I can out brake, and out corner EVERY R1 i have ever come up against !! and that is on the Road 2's pushing VERY hard. They work for me everytime. Todays tyres are FAR better than MOST riders !!:shoot:

Hey Seth - I think this is testament to your mad skilz, :thewave: compared to other riders you've encountered. I'm pretty sure your own test-drive on a standard-equipped FZ1 and an R1 with the same tires would produce faster corners on the R1.

I agree that tires are better than most riders - me included (obviously) - so are the motorcycles.

Why thankyou kind sir !!! lol

I think out of the shop (OEM tyres included) the R1 would leave the FZ1 for shit!!!
no question !!! .......... BUT .............
With just tyres alone, the FZ1 is great round twisties on the ability to use the wider bars to activly counter steer the bike around.
It's a mixed situation argument really. All depends on circumstance.
But good discussion either way. Peace Bro

Cant comment on the latest R1 to compare, but I am quicker through tight to medium corners on the FZ. The R1 came in to its own at HIGH speed on super fast sweepers, not sure how much of that was down to the steering damper and clips ons?
It needs a seriously fast road and a committed (in every sense!) rider to get away from the FZ.
as it happens a group of us were out last weekend on some nice backroads with little traffic and good conditions. things got a bit quick shall we say. 1st 2 bikes to pull up? FZ1s, both with sorted suspension granted but my mate on a standard fz was 3rd up. Followed by an old shape fireblade and k4 gsxr1000 + another on an FZ. the 2 sportsbikes just got blitzed every time we found corners.
From memory the R1 was a bit 'top endy' anyway, with power that came in so hard above 10k you had to be bloody careful. The FZ is just that much more predictable and easy to use...fast.

Have to agree with the Road 2CT camp. I can ride on these as fast as anyone and in the wet they are absolutely brilliant. Yes, I do like to ride fast in the wet, especially since Michelin gave us the Pilot Road 2 CT.

Back