Angel ST, or pilot road 2

Depends on where your getting them? The Angles are much more expensive than the Michelin Pilot Power ct2's that go for a set on ebay for $214 if you catch the right guy (usually the florida based store) advertising on ebay. The Angles I'v seen were way more, like $170 and $140 or there abouts, and I think the Michelins are superior, at least on a Gen.1 thats US dollars..... mabe it will be a different cost for you in the Great White North.

Both are tour tires. Our bike needs at least the powers or the power 2ct if you do some slabs.

refference

I am Happy with my Michelins and until I head to the track I will stick with the Pilot Roads that came on it or the Pilot Road 2 when I replace in a couple of months (before my trip). Even riding to the point of stupid speeds (for the street) I have never had a scary moment with these tires. In pouring rain they still inspired confidence at lean angles I normally wouldn't have dared in the wet.

For refference:

sport_comparo_lg.jpg

But talk to Aaron about this subject he is the local expert. Knowledge as well as opinion.

Last edited:
I concur with OLD SCHOOL, If theres anyone we pay attention to with reguard to his experiances in the FZ1, it would with out a doubt be 'VA Rider', he's a frigin 'Animal' and highly knowledgable/time experianced with the FZ1 and pushing the limits.....and knowledge of the current tires used on FZ's He has posted many a comment on the tires he has personally used. This may be something one could use while choosing a tire for them selves, and where to buy them. Personally I have gotten some killer deals on ebay in the Michelin arena, and am quit happy with the Michelins, however have experiance with Dunlop, Bridgestone and Avons.

Both are tour tires. Our bike needs at least the powers or the power 2ct if you do some slabs.

what?

No.

Our bike doesn't "need" Powers of any kind.... if you "need" them... you need to be smoother... I've embarrassed full-on supersports (GSXR 750, Kawi 636, GSXR 1000, CBR 1000) riding on Pilot Road 2's, Pirelli Rossos, etc. ...

Not to mention, people bought this bike for different riding styles... it IS a sport/touring bike... Plenty of people tour on it... it would be retarded for someone who tours to put on Pilot Powers.

what?

No.

Our bike doesn't "need" Powers of any kind.... if you "need" them... you need to be smoother... I've embarrassed full-on supersports (GSXR 750, Kawi 636, GSXR 1000, CBR 1000) riding on Pilot Road 2's, Pirelli Rossos, etc. ...

Not to mention, people bought this bike for different riding styles... it IS a sport/touring bike... Plenty of people tour on it... it would be retarded for someone who tours to put on Pilot Powers.

Our bike's not a tour bike, but a hyper sportbike, nothing less. Yes, you can 'tour' on anything, but we have real tour bikes available, like the connie or fjr and many more.

No one would call the r1 a tour bike, I suspect. Yet, the fz1 is nothing less than the r1 with a fighter posture, especially with the butt dyno mods. The only card that the r1 has over the fz is in the back straight in the upper triples.

r1 guys that run the track with good fz riders know the above.

Yet, I constantly hear the fz1 'tour' bike nonsense. If the fz rider wants to tour on the fz, please do so, but do NOT call this bike a tour bike. Euros don't and our bike is popular there because they know what it is.

Riders here do NOT know what our bike is, and view it as a tour geezer bike because that's what many fz owners call them. These owners simply do not know what they have: a freakin hypersport bike that kicks butt.

For that, you need the best soft tires. Go 2CT's if forced to run long slabs, but not tour tires.

ohhh... so many things wrong here... where to start...
#1. If you think the Fz1 is a R1 with a different seating position, you're sadly mistaken. All of the "go-fast" mods bring it up to *almost* the level of the ENGINE performance of the STOCK R1. Suspension, braking, etc on the R1 is superior to the FZ1. That's why the R1 is a Supersport and why you see many people with Gen 2's replacing the stock suspension with the bits off of the R1.

#2. R1 vs FZ1 on track - NO comparison. R1 is the far superior track machine.

#3. "Best soft tire" ... the 2CT is by no means the best soft tire. This isn't a matter of opinion. It's a fact. In fact, the 2CT is not recommended BY MICHELIN for use on 1000cc bikes. The tire's softer compound gets overheated on a large, heavy, non Supersport bike, and becomes greasy.

You comparison of the regular Power to the Power 2CT is also incorrect. The difference in the 2 tires is the compound on the outer edges. Interstate riding wouldn't matter on one tire vs. the other, as the center portion of the tire on both is the same.

This is a forum where freedom of ideas is encouraged ... but direct misrepresentation of fact .... well that's a different story.

Last edited:
Our bike's not a tour bike, but a hyper sportbike, nothing less. Yes, you can 'tour' on anything, but we have real tour bikes available, like the connie or fjr and many more.

No one would call the r1 a tour bike, I suspect. Yet, the fz1 is nothing less than the r1 with a fighter posture, especially with the butt dyno mods. The only card that the r1 has over the fz is in the back straight in the upper triples.

r1 guys that run the track with good fz riders know the above.

Yet, I constantly hear the fz1 'tour' bike nonsense. If the fz rider wants to tour on the fz, please do so, but do NOT call this bike a tour bike. Euros don't and our bike is popular there because they know what it is.

Riders here do NOT know what our bike is, and view it as a tour geezer bike because that's what many fz owners call them. These owners simply do not know what they have: a freakin hypersport bike that kicks butt.

For that, you need the best soft tires. Go 2CT's if forced to run long slabs, but not tour tires.

Hey scout I agree with some of what you said because of the way "you" ride your bike.

I think you missed Aaron's point however. Let's not get caught up in the semantics of what to call the bike, sport, touring, etc. The point Aaron was making was that if you don't ride your bike that aggressively then a sport touring tire is fine. Let's not forget that the OEM tires on the bike are sport touring tires. Mine came with Michelin Pilot Road's from factory.

Last edited:
I am getting new tires for my bike very soon; it is the new Angel ST, or the pilot road 2
Looking for some feed back, pro & cons?

Well I don't have personal experience with either tire, but the Pilot Road 2 has been around for a while. Most people that have them seem to like them just fine. The Angel St is a relatively new tire so I'm nor sure how many people have a lot of experience with them. Did a quick web search and found this article on them.

Last edited:
Pirelli

The only experience with Pirelli tires was with a set of Phantoms that I had on my 86 RZ 350. I loved those tires as they were incredibly grippy and let you know when you were at their limits (read predictable and had good feedback) The stock dunlops of the day were the polar opposite, as my best friend had the misfortune to discover (he was OK but lowsided into a grassy ditch). They felt fine until they just let loose, no feedback.

That said I have no experience with modern Pirellis only the Michelins, which I like (especially in the wet).

I've run Pirelli Corsa III's, Rosso's, and Supercorsa's recently.... All 3 have almost the same carcass design. The profile of Pirelli Tires is traditionally steep in comparison to most other tires.

The Michelin's use a different construction compared to the Pilot Power series of tire, and the Road 2 is a different carcass design compared to the Regular Pilot Road. ... The Road 2 is very shallow along the center of the tire, then drops of steeply on the edges.

depending on your riding style either of these tires would be good for you, but traditionally, the Road 2's handling characteristics can be described as "Lazy" . A higher amount of force is required at the bars to make the tire turn.

Both the Road 2 and the Angel are rated to be very good in wet conditions, as you can probably guess because of all of the tread sipes. Anything with that many sipes will be good in evacuating water.

I was rather impressed with the design and function of the Pirelli Rosso. If the Angel is half of the tire that the Rosso is, you should be very happy with it. It hasn't been readily available in the US for long, so it might be hard to find reviews from people in the US on this tire.

All of this said... I may put on an Angel when I wear out my stockpile of BT016's... I've got an internship possibly coming up this summer that will be 2 hours from my house... so a longer lasting tire will be in the cards for me.

The Michelin's use a different construction compared to the Pilot Power series of tire, and the Road 2 is a different carcass design compared to the Regular Pilot Road. ... The Road 2 is very shallow along the center of the tire, then drops of steeply on the edges.

depending on your riding style either of these tires would be good for you, but traditionally, the Road 2's handling characteristics can be described as "Lazy" . A higher amount of force is required at the bars to make the tire turn.

This is good to know. I like the handling of my bike with the Pilot Roads but would really like a stickier edge without much change in the profile or handling characteristics. The Pilot Road 2 is supposed to be better than the original Roads which were the best tires I have used in the rain.

Thanks for the explanation regarding difference between the two.

The feeling of the Road2 can be a bit unsettling at first... as it's very gradual "lazy" steering from center to 3/4 of the way off center, then you get towards the edge, and it drops sharply....

So, in leaning, you have to use a great effort on the bars to get the bike moving into a lean, but once it starts to lean it can pick up more lean angle a bit more quickly.

If I could add some comments (and yes I generally agree with va but also see this as somewhat symantic).

The FZ is relative to the R1 a sport touring configuration based on the geometry of the rider. It is clearly a sport bike, it has an older gen R1 engine and lots of the components are R1 in origin but are relatively "dated"

More to the point of the question: most dual compound ST tires will provide more on the street than most people are able to exploit. If you have your suspension set properly and you have gumdrops (clumps of rubber and pock marks) from ear to ear on your treads, you are using the tire at its limit (take a look at a well used track tire and you will know what I am talking about); it is quite rare to see this level of use from a tire used on the street..

just IMO

Thanks for all the info, I decided to try the Angel. My bike is used more for turing, then sport (mainly because I can’t ride as well as most sport guys).

i have run an 06 R1 for 12k and had my Fz1s (replacement bike since oct 08. Another 12k done!
Pilot road 2s more than adequate on both bikes. I am however smooth (dare I say rather quick as well). No chicken strips back and only about 2mm left on the fronts. just replaced them in fact...with more road 2s.
No drama with the road 2s on either bikes, in fact the 9only tyres that did let go on the R1 were super corsa IIIs.
got some rather quick m,ates as well with GSXR1000s, cbr6s, etc. Do you know what they use???:hook2:

what?

No.

I second that !! I eat sports bikes for breakfast on my Road 2's
Had Powers but there aint any real need fo them, the Road 2 is the tyre for the FZ1, hands down !!

Back