Akrapovic Slip on installed popping on decel

So I installed the Akrapovic slip on (thanks for your help)

I am getting popping on decel (expected I guess)

A few questions about it:

Is it bad for the bike?

Anyone correct it without airbox mod?

Im starting to think I may want to pick up the power commander since this is happening...

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

AIS Mod stops (or reduces) popping... not airbox mod.

It's not inherently bad for the bike.. but it means your bike is running rich.... you can open up the airbox and lean it up a bit... you can block off the AIS... a power commander is always a good thing but not necessary to fix the popping... the main thing you'll want to do is block off the AIS system... this will keep the unburnt fumes from returning to the airbox.

Thanks VA_Rider! I have actually had this same problem since installing my Akrapovic. I have a PCIII with a map made for the slip on and a stock air box. I am however getting ready to gut out the cat, enlarge the airbox/replace with bmc filter, and then possibly remove the throttle plates. I would greatly appreciate anybody's input on wether or not I am doing the right thing............I guess my fear is doing all of this and then getting stuck with all this extra air and no PCIII map to make it work properly. I intend to get it dyno tuned but not till I get a little extra cash to blow. If there is ANYONE who would be so kind to share a map that they may have that would make this work. I would be more than stoked about it.

I have the 08 FZ1 with Akrapovic Slip on and A PCIII. If I replace the filter and enlarge the airbox, and gut out the cat, then what's gonna happen? I'm worried I'll get a bike that is stuck with horrible Air:Fuel ratio and another list of issues that I may not be able to fix there on the spot.

All you are hearing is the explosions of the unburned gases in the exhaust track as the AIS gives the gases a shot of oxygen. They were there before you put the new can on, you just didn't hear them. Although they trouble some, they don't harm the engine and in fact clean up those nasty unburned hydocarbons before they get into the air we all breath. Those that do the mod to remove the AIS hoses clean up the motor's "plumbing" a bit but it does nothing to aid or hurt actual performance. It probably has a negative affect on the bike's EPA credentials.

Hey, thinking of doing block-off plates for the AIS, do I gut the diaphrams, ect, or just cover them up? Sure it doesn't matter for end result, just curious what everyone else was doing. Thanks, Bill

Bill, I answered your AIS thread. :D

As for the excess fuel, it is recommended that you install a Power Commander and get the bike tunes by a pro to reduce emissions and clean up the bike, especially if you do the AIS and gut the CAT.

Back