AIS removal question...

kgc1911

They must have put it there for a reason is my thinking...

Are there any neg side effects to doing this?

What is the benefit, just reduces some popping?

I searched but all I found was positive stuff, I would like to know the other side...:innocent:

Negatives:

It removes the cool popping, MotoGP noises.

You are removing an anti-pollution devise so it may not be legal in your state.

The environment may suffer as a direct result of this mod ;)

They must have put it there for a reason is my thinking...

Are there any neg side effects to doing this?

NO UNLESS YOU HAVE EMISSIONS TESTING

What is the benefit, just reduces some popping? CORRECT

I searched but all I found was positive stuff, I would like to know the other side...:innocent:

The only negative is slightly increased emissions.

Positives .......no popping, increased room for coil/spark plug access

Negatives:

It removes the cool popping, MotoGP noises.

I installed an Aussie StainTune pipe and the popping disappeared. Plugs and pipe end are beautiful tan color. All other systems intact.

Good on ya, mate!

I am going to pull whatever that is between plugs 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4 to make plug changes easier. Parts enroute at this time.

I didn't like it. Sounds more to me like a bike in need of serious tuning. It's annoying to the ears when in canyon-carver mode and high RPMs. But I'm also a lot older inside than 9, like almost 29? ;)

I still get back fire when letting off the throttle after rolling on hard. It does not totally eliminate popping. Not to the same degree as when I had AIS though.....

so i am taking my bike in on thursday, and do not have a removal kit or block offs. does removing this affect anything with the air fuel ratios to the point where i would want to remove it before i take it in next week? or if i remove it AFTER the tuning, will anything change?

The AIS system adds air to the exhaust gasses as they exits the cylinder to ensure complete burn for emissions. The bikes performance is not effected by the AIS.

Benefits of removing are.

1. weight deduction
2. reduction in popping sound on decel
3. easier to service sparkplugs after removal

All that said, mine is still in place and simply plugged. I will be removing it when I check the valves now that I'm at 24K.

finally ready to do this on my bike. I now mostly understand why its nice. After getting my holeshot set up on and together, i have a tone of backfires and popping coming off the throttle. I know holeshot makes a kit for our gen1s, Suzuki DL-1000 V-Strom TFI Tuning Box ,

Does anyone else make a kit or do you even need a kit? what do you block the holes with otherwise?

To be fair, Ivan's kit is a tap, 4 screws, and two rubber caps to block the vacum takeoff and airbox port. You could pick the same thing up at home depot if you do your own measuring an you're an enterprising soul.

Since I last posted, I took mine out because it was getting in the way of things I wanted to do engine wise. I liked the popping, but needed the access so out it went :)

I used a 5/16-18 NC tap, 4- 5/16-18 ss button head bolts, 3/8 long if you can get 'em. A vacuum cap from any auto parts store. For the airbox I had a plastic cap that fit nicely, a small cork would do. Total investment about $5. I did this while changing coolant and had radiator off, much easier to tap holes with rad removed. Be sure tap is straight in the hole. It's a bit of a b***h but works well. Had a heck of a time getting all tubes, hoses and pump out. Ended up removing the coils. Much cleaner under there now. If you like popping on decel, just loosen the button heads a little-JK!:D

Back