Adelaide Suspension

Butthead

Howdy

While I'm on the Adelaide theme, suspensions shops, some point may have to look at upgrading the shock due my portly dimensions;)

Cheers

Doesn't matter how portly you are, upgrade to something better. R1 shock with Satan's adapter is a very affordable and great mod, depends on how heavy you are wether you need a stiffer spring.

I'm 214 lbs at 5'10"

I know it is expensive, but I would recommend a custom Penske 8983 from Traxxion Dynamics as a first choice (unless money doesn't matter, then go Ohlins). Nitron is also a great option but I believe the Penske is a better bargain.

A less expensive option is to buy a proper R1 rear shock and get the Satan's adapter (unsure if he still makes them?) to mate it to your bike. Great deals on ebay can be found on slightly used R1 shocks since most of those riders upgrade to Ohlins, Penske or Nitron. Also might be a good idea, if you go the R1 route, to upgrade the spring for your weight. The stock shock is a 550 lb/in so at 220, if you ride without a passenger or a lot of luggage, you'll want a 650 lb/in. If you often carry a passenger, go with a 700 lb/in spring and set the pre-load low when you're alone, high when you carry the passenger.

-Eric

Thanks, when you say expensive, ballpark what would I be looking at and who can do the install as I am not equiped to ubdertake that, well not without going to a lot of hassle anyway

Perhaps ignore install comment as I've just reliased that you are on the other side of the pond.

Last edited:
Thanks, when you say expensive, ballpark what would I be looking at and who can do the install as I am not equiped to ubdertake that, well not without going to a lot of hassle anyway

Take a look here: Street Bike Rear Suspension and I'd pick any of the top three, all under $1k USD. If you are a member of FZ1OA site, you can ask for the forum discount. I bought the $924 double for just over $800 and it came preset and sprung for my weight. I'm unsure what the exchange rate is and shipping to Oz but I know several there have ordered and shipped to Oz. As for install, it isn't a difficult job and would take less than 30 minutes even for an unskilled person. If you have the center stand on the bike, you are 80% there already! Starting on post #33 in http://www.998cc.org/forum/suspensi...n-notebook-w-penske-usd-forks-diy-manual.html is where I describe the rear shock install. I am bummed to see the photos are no longer there though!

Last edited:
Dicko may chime in here for local shops that can help you. Very few tools needed for the install though. If you do want to go with the R1 shock, I can lend you an adapter until Satan sends yours. He does batches every few months I think. Read up on what model R1 shock you need, I can't remember. Otherwise you could wait for a used quality shock to come up for sale, people sometimes remove them when selling their bikes. Our exchange rate at the moment makes US pricing a bit dear.

Cheers for the replies, good info, am looking at options at the moment and their cost, two item on the list for now suspension and exhaust, first need to get rid of that hideous bomb looking can then do the suspension as the former is cheaper for now and for the latter I've got a better understanding than what I had before at what I need to look into

Last edited:
For cheep options, get an R1 rear shock and the Satan's adapter.

I went Ohlins and it cost me AUD 1500 for the rear shock and north of 3000 for the forks.

Instal yourself, it isn't hard to do, or you can talk to Racebike Services at Lonsdale. They are the guys to talk to about getting suspension set up to your weight and ride style preferences.

FYI, if anyone is after Nitron Shockers you can no longer get them directly from the manufacturer in England but need to go through their agents , Suspensions R Us in Vic

Last edited:
Well I finally got my suspension done, ended up going to Hoey's who revalved and reshimed the forks plus also got some race tech springs.

The back ended going for wilbers 641 with remote and h/l comp adjustment.

Just got back from a ride to check it out, chalk and cheese to what it was, money well spent.

Now to fit the system and a flash

Suspension really does transform this bike. Now that the weather is finally warming up again, it's prefect timing. I'm in the need for some new tread soon. I think I'll get a few more weekend warrior rides out of the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III but they are well into the wear bars now.

Back