A huge goof and an absolute must

I bought a new set of tires last winter so they'd be ready for this summer's ride. Finally, a couple days ago I figured it was about time to do the tire change. I got the front wheel off the bike, removed the old tire, got the new rubber on and inflated, deflated, put in the dyna beads, re-inflated the tire and but the whel back on in about two hours. Granted, without a demounting/mounting machine, it was some hard work but I had the satisfaction of doing it myself. Then it was time to deal with the rear. I again got the wheel off the bike, the tire off the wheel and things were looking good. I started to mount the tire and got one side on just fine, but as I was working the second side on around the rim, things started to get very tough. When it was about 85% on the rim, the tire was so tight that the bead actually rolled about 90 degrees just as it popped over the rim. A neighbor (who is a deputy for the county mounties) saw what happened and said, "I'm glad it's your tire and not mine or I'd be doing something Illegal about now". Well, the sad fact is when the bead rolled, it ruined the bead and basically at that point I had a worthless brand new tire. I was REALLY bummed. The moral of the story is, before you struggle with one of those rear tires get a machine or take it to someone who has one. This was a costly lesson for me and the dealer would have done it for $40 which right now looks like a total bargain. I am, however getting one of these so in the future I'll be equipped properly for the job and in a few years, it will have payed for itself.

Cycle Hill Tire Changer BLUE

Wow that bites. But 40 bucks to mount a tire. Your dealer is making his margin on you. I'd look elsewhere. I have guy localy that will do it for 20 if you buy the tire somewhere else and free if you buy it through him. For the most part he gets pretty close to the internet prices so he gets all the business. A machine would be nice but I'd have to change alot of tires to make up the expense. I could justify it if I was still doing track days, but now it's only a couple of sets a year. Sorry you had to lose a tire, but maybe you'll be able to find someone that doesn't want to rape you for his lunch money.

LOL
Funny how price vary. I thought $40 was a great deal. They charge $60 here. LOL
Keep your head up!!! That is how we learn - by experience and repetition.
HAHAHAHA!!!! LOL above your post and see the sponsors on the top of the page. HAHAHA!!!! IT's almost like it's a sign for your.

Last edited:
It's great to do some of these maintenance things yourself, but paying someone $30-50 for mounting a tire is not out of line, imo and is a fair price to pay for a nasty job. How much effort, cursing, sweating do you do when mounting a tubeless tire, and in this case you end up with a ruined tire. Nah, I'll pay someone with the stand, tools, compressor to dismount my old tire, install and balance the new one, and get rid of the old tire. I don't even want to fool with pulling the tire off the bike, let them do that, too. These are tough times money wise, but some things just aren't worth doing yourself. I have zero interest in changing a tubeless tire. To each their own.

Back