6wt fork oil

So yesterday while I was swapping my tires out I decided to change my fork oil also. I mixed maxima 5wt and 7wt to make a 6 weight. I previously had just the factory fork oil in it. I gotta say the maxima oil made for a HUGE difference in ride quality. The bike rides way better than it ever has. Also a LOT less nose dive when on the front brakes.

I made the mistake of going to a 10wt with my GenI and wound up swapping it out for a mix of 5 and 7 also. On the GenII I haven't done the fork oil as of yet but when I do I'm going to swap out the springs for a set of Race Tech Springs and leave the oil at 5wt.

I have also done the 10w and even 12 but was never happy with the results. Unless you're on a smooth track, I always found the fork was too slow to compress and too harsh on rebound. After actually reading up on the how and why, I typically use the factory spec for best compliance.

I have found that not all fork oils are the same and what brand and model you use also makes a difference. I'm using a 5w 'Honda Pro' oil in the VFR now but will go back to the factory Honda SS-8 next time.

I have also done the 10w and even 12 but was never happy with the results. Unless you're on a smooth track, I always found the fork was too slow to compress and too harsh on rebound. After actually reading up on the how and why, I typically use the factory spec for best compliance.

I have found that not all fork oils are the same and what brand and model you use also makes a difference. I'm using a 5w 'Honda Pro' oil in the VFR now but will go back to the factory Honda SS-8 next time.
Personally I think the factory oil was too light. 10 and 12 wt are waaaay too heavy, unless of course you have a 84 gl1100 with worn out springs and you can use 15wt.

I made the mistake of going to a 10wt with my GenI and wound up swapping it out for a mix of 5 and 7 also. On the GenII I haven't done the fork oil as of yet but when I do I'm going to swap out the springs for a set of Race Tech Springs and leave the oil at 5wt.
I'm very happy with the maxima. I also have a set of forks off a 04 zx10 they are almost the exact same as the fz forks but have the radial mount caliper. I'm gonna try to swap the cartridges. Those are the same size and all but the spring retainer in the zx10 cartridge is like 1mm bigger and causes a squeak on rebound. Im gonna build a spring compressor and give them a go.

Back