500 miles on my 2008 FZ1 - some thoughts...

Well, I've finally got some miles under my belt and although I've been lurking here and soaking up info for a while, I had a few thoughts/questions.

First off - what an awesome machine this is! I've always been somewhat against having a liter bike because 1) I didn't need the extra power, 2) it was more expensive 3) fuel efficiency was disappointing, and 4) I would likely cause trouble with that much power... I am so glad I went for it! The extra power and torque is definitely something I have to ration myself - the fact that I can now just bump up through the gears smoothly with no clutch has led to me finding myself going much faster than I thought/intended. The torque is fantastic for riding 2-up with the wife, the bike doesn't even care. I've been thoroughly enjoying the last couple weeks on this thing, definitely keeping it around for a good while.

I do have a couple things to address.

I've found the seating position just a hair off from perfect. Just like my FZ6, the seat angle pushes me forward and really makes my butt and thighs sore on 2+ hour rides. I've read through the various seat threads and I'd like to go the cheaper route with seatconcepts but the sargent does look very nice. Corbin doesn't seem to be as worthwhile?

The bars could stand to be a bit higher/slightly further back, I have FZ6R bars on my FZ6, so I may swap them and see how that feels. Hopefully no cable length issues. Of course, changing the seat may actually solve that problem as well with a more favorable seating position.

The one major thing I've noticed is a slight "surging" feeling when cruising at a constant speed with lower RPM. I don't know if it's legitimately "surging" as the RPMs don't change. It's barely noticeable and its just a slight feeling. Maybe this has to do with the EXUP system? I've read a bit about it but I don't exactly understand it.

Or maybe the surging is suspension related? I've tuned the suspension using some settings I found either here or on FZ1OA as a baseline and adjusted a bit. The feeling could almost be described as feeling the bike "fall out from under me" in a way. Am I light on preload? Light compression? At any rate, I will look at suspension upgrades in the near future, but as of right now, I'm fairly happy with it. I know it's got room for improvement, but I'm not riding at my limits regularly, I'm a very laid back rider who likes a nice curve or a bit of speed occasionally. I have a Camaro that I drive when I'm feeling like pushing limits, since that's where I am most comfortable.

vbb2Q8Lh.jpg

Last edited:
Is your bike standard ? I used to get the same around 30 /40 mph untill I fitted a pc and got a decent map loaded in it ,,, oh and welcome aboard

Haha, how many posts until I no longer require approval? I was confused at first because I couldn't even go back to the post myself. If you guys are as active as the camaro guys, I'll be sticking around for a good long while.

I'm loving the bike, but the seat really needs some improvement for my rear. Took the bike in to work today - 160 miles round trip - the backs of my thighs get pretty sore after 50 miles of interstate.

The bike is basically 100% stock. I prefer to buy with as few mods as possible and this one was a great find. 13k miles, no mods, impeccable maintenance records, and cosmetically flawless for less than $5k.

I've been reading up on the Ivan mods, and I may make a trip over there at some point. I'm in CT so it's a decent day/overnight trip.

Last edited:
Back