2015 yamaha fj-09

Seen the pics, and talked with a dealer today mentioning the bike. Anyone out there on the planet actually seen or ride this Yamaha model?

EICMA is just a week away and we should probably see the FJ-09 in the flesh along with the new R1, R3 and whatever else Yamaha plans to unveil

I haven't seen the 09, but I saw the R3 and the new Suzuki GSX S naked at the Motogp Expo at Phillip island. Both looked like nice bikes. I couldn't sit on either so looks is all I have to go with.

Have seen pictures. It's a kind of funny looking machine....it has elements of an off road adventure bike with hand grip guards, and the whole suspension/fender appearance aspect of these kind of bikes. Maybe it will look better in person. It has no real offroad practicality that I could see so I'm not sure why they are styling it as such.

I was pumped when I first heard of a FJ 09 . A smaller, lighter FJR is what I had pictured in my head . This bike isn't even close to being a ST . A crappy winshield and bag mounts WOW

I was pumped when I first heard of a FJ 09 . A smaller, lighter FJR is what I had pictured in my head . This bike isn't even close to being a ST . A crappy winshield and bag mounts WOW

It reminds me of the Versys which is a fantastic bike. Maybe not quite like a baby-FJR but an upright bike with long suspension travel and a tall windscreen could be a great long distance bike. The Versys also benefits from hand guards which really makes a massive difference with cold and rain :)

It reminds me of the Versys which is a fantastic bike. Maybe not quite like a baby-FJR but an upright bike with long suspension travel and a tall windscreen could be a great long distance bike. The Versys also benefits from hand guards which really makes a massive difference with cold and rain :)

Yep im sure its a great bike but it falls short in every ST catagory

I think Yamaha drew it's conclusions from the better selling adventure bike market. Adventure bikes sell great in EU and most people only use them on streets. It is well visible that the original sport touring market is dying out. I personally would have loved a baby FJR with the new triple but it seems that the market for another 'not really but looks like one' adventure bike was larger.

However I would like to see a real baby FjR and then a tenere with the 900cc triple. The Tenere should be light and more off-road than the ST and it would be a great seller. On a side note, I heard that Honda will do something similar and bring back the African Twin maybe already at EICMA that would be a great bike too. Unfortunately it seems that most people like the look of an adventure bike but do not think about using it off-road otherwise we would not see so many heavy weight adventure bikes.

I think Yamaha drew it's conclusions from the better selling adventure bike market. Adventure bikes sell great in EU and most people only use them on streets. It is well visible that the original sport touring market is dying out. I personally would have loved a baby FJR with the new triple but it seems that the market for another 'not really but looks like one' adventure bike was larger.

However I would like to see a real baby FjR and then a tenere with the 900cc triple. The Tenere should be light and more off-road than the ST and it would be a great seller. On a side note, I heard that Honda will do something similar and bring back the African Twin maybe already at EICMA that would be a great bike too. Unfortunately it seems that most people like the look of an adventure bike but do not think about using it off-road otherwise we would not see so many heavy weight adventure bikes.

Yep and besides the African Twin Honda has a 800 cc V4 and 1200 cc v4 adventure bikes overseas .
I think im gonna get a super tenere ES .Im not goin on a safari but my busted up back
Would love 71/2 " of travel .

2015-Yamaha-FJ09_2_zpse4e3131e.jpg

$10,490, just $300 less than an FZ1. With the street price of FZ1's sharply discounted there will be a wide disparity on the street. But you get a lot of nice electronic features on the FJ-09

It's 462 lb (vs. 487 lb), and a pretty tall seat height of 33.3", challenging for shorter riders.

Good news, it has a centerstand.

Will have to see how it tests out in the real world, the FZ-09 fuelling was pretty bad last year, maybe they have fixed it this year.

It's up at the Yamaha website, under Supersport Touring tab, with the FJR:

Here -----------------> 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 Home

Last edited:
It looks VERY comfortable and I'm loving the slick dash that it comes with. The hand guards and centre stand are excellent. 4.8 gallon tank & over 40 MPG makes for a decent touring range as well

2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-37.jpg

2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-24.jpg

2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-16.jpg

Back