2011 East Coast Gather

If you had a few months notice (mid Oct?) who thinks they would really, no BS, come to a FZ ride in Eastern Tn/ Deals Gap/ Smokies ride? Fri-Sun, twisites during the day and BBQ and beers in the evening.

I have a connection on a motel in Gatlinburg and would be down for making Tshirts and routes, but not if its just me, myself, and I :teeter:

What yee say FZ1ers?

I used to orginaze all of our 4wd rides and 15 would say yes, 10 would back out, and 2 would bring extra people at the last minute, so it usually worked out :D

Bikes don't sling parts everywhere nearly as much as rock crawlers do and that was always and issue for those guys sneaking in a local ride the weekend before the big one we all took off work for :nothing:

Gotta have t-shirts made too! It's a TachedOut ride requirement :D

Last edited:
How far are you from columbia SC? I am a professor so I can get Fridays off. However, our budget is tight. How much u think it will cost? I eat and ride but not a big beer fan. I think once the questions are answered I have a really good chance. But not on Halloween, my anniversary.

Amevl introduced me to the Iron Horse campground. I think its Like 15.00 or 20.00 beans a night and offers great facilities. it offers a great 10 mi warm up run to the Dragon on 28.

How far are you from columbia SC? I am a professor so I can get Fridays off. However, our budget is tight. How much u think it will cost? I eat and ride but not a big beer fan. I think once the questions are answered I have a really good chance. But not on Halloween, my anniversary.

I'm 8 hours East if you in I20, but Eastern , TN is more like 4 from you and it would be an awesome ride through the mtns!

$60 Fuel cost for 600 miles
$40-100 lodging
$40-100 mcDs or steaks for the grill
$12. :D t-shirt

I'm not scared to camp and I think it makes for great evening festivities.
If there is a diehard hotel group, they can stay close by.

I'm showing Oct 11th is Columbus day which some if us will have off? Take Friday and make it two short work weeks and awesome riding in between!

I'm looking at the weekend if Oct 8-9th, 4 weeks from now, on Columbus Day weekend.

I'll check around in hotels/ campsites/ group rates on Monday and see what's up.

I guess I'm going regardless and it would be awesome to get a group of FZs there :wilynily:

Would be interested in I have a 3 day weekend every third week next weekend is my 3 day so every 3rd weekend I'm off would try. Have family in ashville nc might work out.

I really want to do this, but I'm nervous. I am a new FZ1 rider. I road cruisers for years. I don't curves real fast yet. I just want to make sur I won't be dragging anyone down if I go. But, I want to learn about bikes and riding from other guys.

Should I go? And, how do u think we will ride. I don't mind pulling up the rear if I'm to slow.

I do go fast on highways though. It's just turns I get nervous on.

Thanks

I really want to do this, but I'm nervous. I am a new FZ1 rider. I road cruisers for years. I don't curves real fast yet. I just want to make sur I won't be dragging anyone down if I go. But, I want to learn about bikes and riding from other guys.

Should I go? And, how do u think we will ride. I don't mind pulling up the rear if I'm to slow.

Thanks

Personally I would say get some more experience in the turns before you do something like this. Unfamiliar roads, unfamiliar riders, you not feeling comfortable in the turns...all spells a recipe for disaster. It's too easy to get caught up trying to keep up with the others and end up crashing...just saying.

Thanks

I don't see an issue with you going. It's all about self control and riding within your limits. Far too often you have guys that are less experienced trying to "keep up" with guys much more able. That's when problems occur. Especially when riding in groups. I don't care where I am, what road I'm on, which riders are along with me. I always make sure that I know where I am and how to get back from where I came. This way you can enjoy yourself, ride at your own pace, and get back to where your staying in one piece. If you feel that you will hinder someone else, just ride in the rear. If your riding and someone is behind you who you feel your holding up, you can always signal them by when it's absolutely safe, or pull off the road at one of the many turn offs, let them by, then continue on your way. You don't have to feel inadequate if your going slower than the next guy. There were many cruisers on the Dragon when we went down there that were riding below the speed limit and nobody had an issue with that. I think I only broke past 40mph once or twice while on the Dragon and I had a total blast. Go down, be your own person, ride at your own pace, and have a load of fun!!! You won't regret going if you stick to these tips.

Come on wid it!

I'm no superbike champion and won't be anytime soon!

Well have a common camping/ lunch/ supper spot and just roll from there.
It's 100% okay with me when I roll in last. Hell, i usually do!

I've never been and don't really know the logistics of the Tail???
Is it 15 miles or hairpins or 100 miles of moderate curves?
Is there good stopping spots on the way?

???

If we don't do this ride, I've got another planned that runs along the Appalachian Trail from GA to WV.

Who's coming?? And percentage!:deal:
1) TachedOut. 100% going somewhere this weekend :woot:
2)
3)
4)

Come on wid it!

I'm no superbike champion and won't be anytime soon!

Well have a common camping/ lunch/ supper spot and just roll from there.
It's 100% okay with me when I roll in last. Hell, i usually do!

I've never been and don't really know the logistics of the Tail???
Is it 15 miles or hairpins or 100 miles of moderate curves?
Is there good stopping spots on the way?

???

It's 318 Curves in 11 miles. There are some sharp turns, hairpins, and moderate curves, one after another with I think a few spots to pull off as well as some partially straight sections. My whole experience when I was there, at least for me, was to get into a rythym. It went a lot easier and playing it turn by turn. You'll see that after a couple of minutes, you'll be in a sort of "zone" and things will move a little easier. I also found that after doing it both ways, I liked the way going (from the Deal's Gap Store heading west), than coming back East. Not sure why but I was more comfortable heading West. One thing you must realize is that, at least for me, many nicer roads to ride than the Dragon. I did it only once in 8 days there only to be able to say I did it. The Cherohola Skyway is the most awesome road I rode on down there and definitely my favorite. Also, the Blue Ridge Parkway was great too.

Cool.

We can hit the tail sat morn, eat lunch, and plan a longer ride that afternoon. Group ride sunday morning, lunch, then roll out to your perspective state.

I need to research the tail and area some more but I still want a gathering!!

Last edited:
Back