2008 GEN2 FZ1 gets 2004 R1 Front Forks and RC brakes+pump

Ii's some time now I have bought theese R1 2004 frontforks, a complete set, including RC brake callipers (4piston model), RC brakepump, T-piece.
So I took on the project to finally install these on my FZ1, and to combine to have my brake lines replaced with steel braided lines

Purpose of this thread is to support "iwannadothistoooneday" members to have a step by step guide on how you replace your front forks with the R1 ones

What you need: R1 Front forks 50mm, R1 axle = The FZ1 axle will not fit using the R1 forks as the R1 axle needs to be secured with an external bolt.
The FZ1 triple clamps work perfectly
Caution: ensure the parts are a 2004-2006 model. Condition is the forks diameter to be 50mm.

More shopping- or list items will be reported

1. for easyness of working, remove the entire front fairing and headlight
2. Put the bike up preferred on two front and rear paddock stands
3. Secure the bike by strapping it on to a celing hook (ensure it can carry the weight of the bike). I used my standard straps with ratchet so I can lifth the bike up.
You need to lift the bike high enough to allow you can remove /mount the forks
4. But a support box (eg beercrate) under the engine so it can rest on that if needed and to avoid it will fall down just incase the hook or strap breaks.

Now begins the work

Last edited:
Remove the front wheel

1. loosen the nuts (#12) of the brakes, but not remove them

2. loosen the tighting nuts(alan key) at the right fork

3. Loosen the front axle by using a 19 Alan key

4. now you relative easily remove the front wheel. Wriggle a wee bit with the brakes to have the wheel removed

remove the front fender

Next to remove the front fender

Remove all bolts holding the front fender in it's place (by now you have already picked a small box to put all nuts and bolts in to avoid loosing them)

One nut at inside of fender to be loosened

Front fender removed

remove the brake callipers

Next is to remove the brakecallipers.
You have the option also to keep them bolted to the forks, and after having drained the brakefluid, disconnect the brakelines.
I decided to remove them alltogether as I plan to torough clean and check them before they go in my "FZ1-spare part box"

Unscrew the brake fluid container cap at the handlebar

Use your brakebleed tube and a container to bleed the brakeslines empty

Left removed

Both removed

mount the new R1 forks

Slightly open up the bottom clamp just enough the fork will slide in without too much resistance (u do not wanna scratch the golden forks)
Clean the inside of the clamps
Slide gently upwards the R1 forks.
For now I have just temporarily tightend them by hand (need to look up the right tighten-moments for each clamp)

Pay attention to slide in the right forks on the right side

replacing brakelines

Next step (if you want to replace the brakelines) is to remove the OEM brakelines.

Note this model is equipped with ABS hence the lines wil go throught a slitbox to connect up towards and back the ABS pump
at the right side of the frame

Thanks so much Arnold for the awesome job taking the photos and posting them. I appreciate when members do this because I know how much more time it takes to try and get the work done while documenting the process with photos. This will definitely become a Sticky Thread for others to follow. Thanks again!

adjusting the forks in the clamps

To adjust the correct position of both forks, first insert the R1 axle.
Here you see the difference between your FZ1 GEN2 axle: the R1 axle is secured with an external bolt

Position the forks by measuring the top position of the forks towards the top clamp. I set mine to 5mm above the top clamp

Tighten the clamp nuts first by hand while doing the fork adjusting.
When happy with the position, tighten the bolts as per below torque settings

Lower bracket pinch bolt 1 and Upper bracket pinch bolt 3

insert wheel and mount brakes

Next insert the wheel using the R1 axle...this fits perfect without any mods

Next I mounted the brake callipers (after I thorougly cleaned them, placed new (racequality) brake pads

Lowered the bike back on its wheels.

Next job is to have the brakelines replaced. I got in touch with my dealer and I will bring the bike to his shop to have customized steel brake lines fitted (The fact that it needs reconnecting to the ABS pump I wanna be sure this is professionally done.)
So the bike will be gone for a few days....

Once back it is remounting the front fender andfront light/fairing. Then testride and adjust the fork compression/rebound to my liking...

RC brake pump fitted

And yes also removed the oem brake lever-pump and mounted the RC Brembo brake pump...This will already give me more braking power compared to the radial bc. In combinatiion with RC callipers and new steel lines, this baby is gonna stop like no before

OEM goes off

RC goes on

Also need to fabricate a small holder/bracket for the brakefluid reservoir

So I did the mod last week.
The wish list is missing the R1 calipers... This is my minimum list of things:
- R1 04-06 front fork
- R1 04-06 front wheel axle
- R1 04-06 calipers (4 piston) with mounting bolts
- Brake fluid DOT4

What I found out, there is no need to disassemble the front of motorcycle. You just have to be careful with allen key and screws which secure fork legs.
The brake hoses works fine as well as brake pump.
The brake pads are the same and brake pads spring.

Apart from my "minimum" list, what is worth doing while performing this mod:
- change oil and seals in R1 fork, I guess it comes used from ebay
- change brake pads if required
- change brake pistons' seals in R1 calipers (manual says every 2y)
- change brake fluid (manual says every 2y)
- before the mod, check front tire for wear, it may require replacing

Sorry to drag up and old thread, just wondering what different lengths of 04-06 R1 forks are compared to 07-08 R1?
How much shorter than stock FZ1 are each?
I know I've read this info here before but can't find it..
thanks ....

Back