2005 FZ1 Sputtering/Misfiring

Hey guys,

Posting this for all the future fellas who have the same issue as me.

I recently was the victim of a cruel trick by my own bike. I Noticed some high RPM sputtering/misfiring and loss of power, around 10k RPM. But it was intermittent. In the city, never had any issues. However on anything longer than a 5 minute highway ride, if I went up to 10k RPM the bike would feel like it is losing power in one cylinder. Opening the throttle more just bogged the engine down completely. I may as well have been coasting.

Does this sound like you? perfect. EZ fix.

I started by checking my spark plugs, and my spark plug boots.
photo_2020-08-06_17-31-45.jpg

While reading the tea leaves may make me think the bike is running a bit lean, there's nothing here to write home about.
photo_2020-08-06_17-31-46.jpg
I tossed in some CR9EK plugs, as I figured the one electrode might be the culprit. As it turns out, I had 2 manuals for both gen1, and gen 2. Happily enough, no interference, engine is fine and the bike is happy.

I ran the bike for a little while, it did not help. Issue came back the moment I got to the highway.

Everyone told me I was crazy, and they told me that the carbs were the issue. I spent an afternoon cleaning the carbs meticulously. I reset the TPS sensor back to where it is stock and said lets see how it goes.

The issue came back.

Every single person I asked, which at my garage is actually quite a few told me that I was crazy for considering a kinked fuel line. They told me it had to be the pump.

Pump checked, it was fine.

2 feet of 3/8 ID line from autzone later (I also bought 5/16) I felt that the 3/8 might have more flow, so since it fit and didn't leak, I used it.
Line.png

I forgot to take some pictures, but this is where the kink was. I will post a picture hopefully tomorrow or after tomorrow.

Reuse the clamps if they're in alright condition, and please enjoy your bike that you can rev the piss out of again.

I recommend unhooking the wiring harness zip tie cinch that there is to the frame and letting the fuel hose dip underneath that to prevent such a sudden kink in the line, worked for me. 200 miles later I haven't seen or felt a fueling issue.

Back