2001 or 2003 to buy?

Hi Everyone,

Any suggestions or input is appreciated:)
I'm looking to add a 1st gen FZ1 for fun rides. I already have a well used and heavily modified (black) DL650 that I'm keeping for long distance touring, light off road and 2up riding.

The 2 bikes I have come across are a 2001 Black model and a 2003 Yellow model. Both are the same price.
I'm leaning towards the higher mileage one due to suspension work and other little upgrades that are useful for me.
:-)

2001 w/ 66,000km:
• New chain & sprockets (Yamaha replacement kit – one-piece chain, bearings all cleaned and synthetic grease used)
• Suspension (adjustable) has been rebuilt (front and rear) from Traxxion Dynamics (happens to be set up for my weight).
• Front and rear suspension are adjustable (Compression, dampening and rebound)
• Throttlemeister cruise control and weighted handlebar ends
• Pazzo 6-position adjustable levers
• Handlebar risers
• Well maintained, new battery and carb service in 2021
• Never dropped and no scratches or damage

Extras:
• FZ1 Yamaha bike cover
• Wired for a Zumo series GPS that fits my Garmin 590
• Yamaha owner’s manual & Yamaha shop manual
• Extra touring windscreen & Tinted bubble windscreen
fz1 2001.jpg

2003 w/ 21,000km:
• New tires
• New chain
• New brakes
• New battery
• Exup eliminator done
• Suspension is upgraded for better handling (higher spring rate)
• Yamaha owner’s manual & Yamaha shop manual
• Has a ding in the tank.

Extras:
• Spare set of turn signals
fz1 2003.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I bought the black one. The owner was very meticulous and already had the Ivan's jet kit done to it as well as a bunch of other little things. Also had a detailed binder of all the adjustments done to it and maintenance. It's practically in showroom condition too. Just bought some Road 5's for it since the rubber is from 2007 and hard as hockey pucks!

Just need to find a good aftermarket seat - maybe a Corbin since that's what has worked for me on my other bikes.
2001%20FZ1%20front-L.jpg

The 01 gives you a couple of extra ponies. Both look good I wouldn't worry so much about mileage. Go for the one that has had regular service. These engines are known to go 100K plus.

Good on you for the black one. Ivan's kit makes the bike much better.

Back