190/55R17's vs 190/50R17

drmgillan

I recently upgraded to a fresh set of Michelin PR3. 190/55R17 from the stock profile. IMO the rear end feels lighter, feels easier to maneuver in tight spots. Tried this exercise with cones placed very closely together in a parking lot and saw some improvement compared to the stock. Maybe this could be all in my head. But I have noticed that the 2012 R1 has upgraded their profile as well to 55's wondering if there's something to it. Inspires more confidence in the twisters.

Has anyone used the higher profile?
What is their experience?

I just got a new set of PR3's this past fall (only a few hundred miles on them before the cold, rain and snow hit). I deeply considered the 190/55 over the 190/50, but stuck with the 190/50 because I live in east central IL. All the roads are flat, straight and laid out in a grid. I figured the 190/55 would just flatten sooner with all the straight line riding I'm forced to do.

If I was in an area with twisty roads, I'm sure I'd go with the 190/55. It would be nice to have 2 FZ1's side by side to ride and see the difference. Changing from a worn out tire to a new tire wouldn't be a fair comparison. These Michelin PR3's are such and upgrade from the stock Dunlop tires. One thing to consider is the 190/55 may through off your speedometer and thus your odometer. (don't want to rack up miles faster than you really are) The circumference is a bit larger.

I run a 180/55/17 and always have. Ive had a 190/55/17 and didnt really notice any real difference between them except the 190 is more $$$.

Back