180 tire on second hand bike

Drinky

I just checked my fz1, its a gen2, and it has a 180/55 tire
I dont like the way it corners AT ALL figured it was the BT021 that just sucks,
but could this have anything to do with it?

I bought mine with 30k km's on it, had new tires but they're 180's :jaw drop:

hmmm after reading a bit I see people put on 180's to make it lighter in corners..
but it feels to me the bike feels a bit unstable in the corner, could this at all have something to do with 180 instead of 190?

And I'm about to get new tires, I'm getting the michelin pilot road 2's, loved em on my fz6,
should I try 180 again, or go for 190??

I do 1 or 2 trackdays and some high speed riding with friends up in the mountains, so stable and fast cornering is a plus.

Last edited:
Bike was designed (at least the rear wheel) for a 190. If it were me, I would put a 190 on it. My Gen 2 came with a 190/50. Some of the members have put on 190/55's.

I just checked my fz1, its a gen2, and it has a 180/55 tire
I dont like the way it corners AT ALL figured it was the BT021 that just sucks,
but could this have anything to do with it?

I bought mine with 30k km's on it, had new tires but they're 180's :jaw drop:

hmmm after reading a bit I see people put on 180's to make it lighter in corners..
but it feels to me the bike feels a bit unstable in the corner, could this at all have something to do with 180 instead of 190?

And I'm about to get new tires, I'm getting the michelin pilot road 2's, loved em on my fz6,
should I try 180 again, or go for 190??

I do 1 or 2 trackdays and some high speed riding with friends up in the mountains, so stable and fast cornering is a plus.

Well I know the GenII bikes come shod with 190 tires to begin with. I know that guys who have gone to a 190 on a GenI bike. I don't think you get any more stability going wider on a tire especially when you mount a tire meant for a wider rim since it changes the profile of the tire. I'm not sure if the opposite holds true, speaking of putting a 180 tire on a rim meant for a 190.

Back