12,000 mile service price???

My bike is coming up to 12,000 miles FZ1-N 2008 so it is coming to the point i need to put it in for its service, I've phoned & emailed round a few garages to get quotes only yamaha have got back to me and quoted £278.00, which i thought was a bit steep. Has anyone put theres in recently for the 12,000 or know how much roughly i should be paying?

My bike is coming up to 12,000 miles FZ1-N 2008 so it is coming to the point i need to put it in for its service, I've phoned & emailed round a few garages to get quotes only yamaha have got back to me and quoted £278.00, which i thought was a bit steep. Has anyone put theres in recently for the 12,000 or know how much roughly i should be paying?

12k miles? Besides plugs, oil and maybe a chain adjustment you shouldn't need a major service until 25-26k (Valves, throttle bodies sync, etc). Yes that does sound steep for chain adjustment and spark plugs. Are you getting new tires as well?

The guy emailed me and said for a 12,000 mile service which includes oil, oil filter, spark plugs and 3 and half hours labour = £278.59.

That doesn't include even include the front tyre that i need changing!

The main reason i was going to get the service was because I'm doing a euro trip on the bike in the summer and will be covering just over 2500 miles in 10 days and the last thing i want is for something to go wrong with the bike and according to the service log the next one is 12000 miles and also according to the log it hasn't had a service since 2012 when it was on 6540 miles.

So do i just do the oil, filter a tyre then put it through its MOT or do i need the full service?????

sorry for all the questions I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to mechanics!

Do the oil, filter yourself. Then just have the tire replaced. 2500 miles should be easy after that. Do the plugs your self when you get back. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, three hours of labor seems about right(must be a high hourly rate). Its nice to no be worrying about your bike.

Last edited:
The guy emailed me and said for a 12,000 mile service which includes oil, oil filter, spark plugs and 3 and half hours labour = £278.59.

That doesn't include even include the front tyre that i need changing!

Wow, 3-1/2 hours to do an oil change and spark plugs?? Geez, how slow are these guys working? On a naked bike no less.

I can do it too but I prefer the shop to do it i can do the oil change n filter and air filter which I have done but the shop does a better job though out the bike.

I am so glad I can do all my own maintenance. Saves me a ton of cash!

It sure does save a lot of money. I'm scarred for life from working on old shitbox cars. Too many desperate all-nighters lying on the ground being miserable; now I am happy to take it to my trusted mechanic rather than suffer the pain. ;)

Last edited:
Funny enough i had the same on the last fz1 fazer 07 went to adjust the chain and one of the adjusters sheared off (chemical reaction between stud n frame) took 2 weeks to get the job sorted helicoil.Also nearly had the same thing happen on 2011 bike too.

Back