05 fz1 dry clutch basket and plates!! What mods fix this??

well, new clutch with 2000 miles feels like its slipping at higher rpms, also its supposed to be wet clutch and the plates and fibers are always bone dry when i change them in and out. i dont dont do burn outs, wheelies, drag race at all and i dont want to be smoking a clutch every 3000 miles because i tour alot.

If it is slipping it will usually be worse in higher gears under a hard pull. Not necessarily at higher rpms though. It will usually slip going into 6th under a hard pull first. The times I had mine out it seemed pretty dry too but I have 40,000 miles on it with no trouble. It wasn't dripping wet when I took it out.I would put a little more free play in it and then try a few clutchless shifts and see if it has the same issue. Maybe it's slow to engage. Next time I look at mine I am going to change the springs. I'm sure they get weaker over time with the heat.

yeah mine is doing the same thing exactly. pin the throttle in 5 and 6 gear and it seems to pull a little weaker than in the lower gears. (could be characteristics of the fz1 5,6 taller gears??). then when i down shift into 4 and pin throttle it pulls like bat outta hell, just seems like its only 5 and 6 thats not pulling hard.1-4 scares me when at wot. clutch cable has a lot of slack, i have it adjusted where it engages 1/4 of the way or so off the handle bar. so i know for sure its fully engaged when i let go. (always have a little jiggle room at clutch actuator arm), arrow and dot are aligned.

even its not wearing out the clutch id like to know that the clutch fibers and plates are being bathed in oil for piece of mind. thats why i want to know if there is anything i can do to get more oil in the clutch basket...

btw what part of sc you from?

Last edited:
Sumter. You? I'm pretty sure the clutch would have to be getting enough oil from splash. There is a lot going on when it's running. Might be that it's just not pulling as hard in 6th. If it started slipping I'm sure it would rev to the moon. lol The trans shaft pressure lubes the gears but not the clutch.

im in columbia. i come that way all the time just joy riding and also have family in sumter.
anyway yeah the plates and fibers are bone dry all the time, maybe it will last....im thinking of installing a mcoys clutch saver mod kit. runs a line from the hole where you read oil presser up to the clutch cover.

Dude. Your clutch is not slipping. When a clutch slips the revs will shoot to the moon. There is no little bit of slip. Its all or nothing. Learn your motorcycle and learn how to ride. That will solve your problem.

Back