Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Default New R1 shock option without adaptor

Here is a little secret I have been working on. If anyone wants to get their bike handling properly just get hold of a 2015-2016 standard R1 shock. The shock at standard length is 315mm, simply adjust the factory ride height adjuster on the bottom of the shock to 320mm, which is the stock length for the FZ1 shock. The lower bush is the same size as the stock one and the two bushes on the top spherical bearing measures 32mm as opposed to the stock 30mm. It is simply a matter of removing 1mm from each bush to get the right clearance. The shock will now bolt straight in except the regulator rectifier tray needs to be cut flush with the fold on the right hand side and just past where the regulator fits on the left side. The bracket needs to now be bent up 40mm to allow the reservoir on the shock to clear the tray. Once thats done it is simply a matter of adding a brace either side and 30 seconds welding and your finished. After this cat gets out of the bag I think these late model shocks are going to be hard to find. Hope this information helpsNew R1 shock option without adaptor-img_20160503_134454.jpgNew R1 shock option without adaptor-img_20160503_134603.jpgNew R1 shock option without adaptor-img_20160503_134630.jpgNew R1 shock option without adaptor-img_20160503_134647.jpg

How's the shock handling so far?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes:

- 2014 Yamaha FZ1
    - 2017 Yamaha FZ-10

Check out my Build Thread:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-fz-10...ne-growth.html

Nice mod. Seems like a little bit of mucking around to get the desired result though.
    Personally, I'm extremely happy with my Penske 8983 FZ1 rear shock that I picked up on here for a song.
    This mod looks like a great option for the budget conscious tinkerers though.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
    Mivv Speed Edge end can with Arrow headers - Ivan's ECU flash - PCV with Ballmead map - Modded Airbox - DNA Air Filter - 08 R1 Forks and 6 Pot brakes with R6 MC - Penske 8983 Rear Shock - 49T Rear Sprocket - LighTech rear sets

Quote Originally Posted by ballmead View Post
    Nice mod. Seems like a little bit of mucking around to get the desired result though.
    Personally, I'm extremely happy with my Penske 8983 FZ1 rear shock that I picked up on here for a song.
    This mod looks like a great option for the budget conscious tinkerers though.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
    Maybe this 2015 R1 shock with that 2008 R1 fork and brake setup New R1 shock option without adaptor

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes:

- 2014 Yamaha FZ1
    - 2017 Yamaha FZ-10

Check out my Build Thread:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-fz-10...ne-growth.html

Seems like a good alternative to a cheap upgrade if the adapters aren't available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Holeshot performance AIS removal kit, stage 2 carb kit, steering stabilizer. 12oclock labs speedo healer. Pipewerx slip on. R6 shock mod. R1 shift mod. EBC clutch springs. +2 rear sprocket. Renthal straight bars.

It's all looking good, but it only works for non- ABS version. The huge ABS pump gets in the way and there's no space to move it to.

Any other options for ABS version owners?