Tire question about year of manufacture vs installation date new...

A tire shop was trying to say my tires need changing because the year stamp on one was 2012 and the other was 2013 but I got them installed in 2015. I would think tires get manufactured and stored then the slow boat to the USA, sitting in a warehouse, then purchased by tire places could be a while and as long as they are sealed then they are fine. I'm sure there is even a big difference in tires that are parked outside in the weather versus in a garage. They hugged the road perfect up Angeles Crest this last summer so maybe that place just wants to make some sales.

google tire de-gassing.

Tires that sit on the shelf not being used go hard and lose their sticky grip. When you switch from a hard set to a new set, you will notice the difference. However if you don't push the limits of the tire, only run in warm weather, or don't lean too far in corners, it will be less noticeable.

google tire de-gassing.

Tires that sit on the shelf not being used go hard and lose their sticky grip. When you switch from a hard set to a new set, you will notice the difference. However if you don't push the limits of the tire, only run in warm weather, or don't lean too far in corners, it will be less noticeable.

I googled but there wasn't much in regards to factory to tire shop but I did see people discussing how to store tires. I'm thinking that's how tires are stored before install, wrapped in plastic to just about eliminate degassing/outgassing. I was more interested in if people noticed their new tires aren't manufactured in the same year and how many years before installation were they manufactured.

I buy my tires on order usually, and in September, the beginning of my riding season here in Australia. My local shop does stock a range of tires that they know will sell off the shelf, but the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III I run are rarely on the shelf, but it only takes a few days to get them in so that doesn't bother me. That way I also know they haven't been sitting for ages too.

All the tires I have purchased are made the year I purchased them. I usually don't get more than 2 - 3 years out of a set before they are worn out. The tires that came stock on the bike were 2 years old when I purchased it. They were terrible from the get go and were not on there long.

I buy my tires on order usually, and in September, the beginning of my riding season here in Australia. My local shop does stock a range of tires that they know will sell off the shelf, but the Pirelli Diablo Rosso III I run are rarely on the shelf, but it only takes a few days to get them in so that doesn't bother me. That way I also know they haven't been sitting for ages too.

All the tires I have purchased are made the year I purchased them. I usually don't get more than 2 - 3 years out of a set before they are worn out. The tires that came stock on the bike were 2 years old when I purchased it. They were terrible from the get go and were not on there long.

I bought mine new in Feb 2015 but realized they are 2012 and 2013 so one for sure is 2 years plus and the other probably 1.5 years to 2 years old. I never even knew to check the DOT date. From now on I'll check that before they install them.

this is nonsense in my book. racing tires get so glassed when they are cold they look like they never grip again, but as soon as they get hot, they are like you want therm to be. All tires do this, even ones with cracked edges.

Old tires can fail, but it is not a tire grip issue, at all

this is nonsense in my book. racing tires get so glassed when they are cold they look like they never grip again, but as soon as they get hot, they are like you want therm to be. All tires do this, even ones with cracked edges.

Old tires can fail, but it is not a tire grip issue, at all

That's what I thought. The rubber under the older rubber is probably fresher also as you wear them down. I imagine 10 year old tires would be an issue but 3 year old tires that were in storage a couple years before that shouldn't be. My tires actually feel grippy. I actually sold the bike since I wasn't riding it and mainly riding the dr650 but the buyer said the shop told him he needed new tires. The guy wanted me to buy him new tires for $300 geez, after he bought the bike.

Back